AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the LT150 threads with interest. While everyone keep saying try HTPC to reduce rainbow effect, how does it actually work?

[This message has been edited by wlai (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I see plenty of rainbows when the LT150 is hooked up to my laptop. This is just on static Windows icons and programs and so forth. I don't think a movie on an HTPC would be much different from with any other source WRT rainbows...

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't have a scientific reason but based on the reports I've read here, people claim that the more deinterlacing and scaling that is performed internally by the LT150, the more rainbows they see. So interlaced video seems to yield more rainbows than a progressive dvd, which in turn yields more rainbows than an HTPC. Perhaps this is just psychological though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Jeff, that may be true on other projectors but the LT150 doesn't seem to support refresh rates above 60Hz very well. I, and others, have seen pretty bad tearing artifacts when using higher refresh rates. I'd rather see rainbows than these tearing artifacts.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
One thing which has me stumped is why I never saw rainbow with my DL450. I would think that it's only because I wasn't looking for rainbow when I owned it and probably would see it now. But I don't recall anyone else saying they see rainbow with their Davis either.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi wlai,

I haven't tried other sources, but my HTPC/LT150 combination certainly has it's share of rainbows. You may be able to reduce them through certain tricks at the source, but the problem should really be fixed at the display device.

These upcoming 'Archimedes' color wheels, 4x wheels, 6 segment wheels, etc. should help far more than using an HTPC as the source.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.