AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if InFocus X1 is able to support gaming consoles such as PS2 and XBOX?

If you can, Please post pictures for both systems.

If there is a better projector out there that can handle gaming, please give me the model numbers.

What is better for gaming? DLP or LCD?

Thank you.

-duckie201-

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Duckie,

I have the same question as you since I just purchased the Xbox this evening and am currrently evaluating the X1.

How do you like the X1 so far?

Jimmy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd like to know also, seems to have all the specs and a price to handle gaming very well. However for pc gaming, the highest resolution we can use is 800x600?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyDaves
Duckie,

I have the same question as you since I just purchased the Xbox this evening and am currrently evaluating the X1.

Jimmy
I have not purchased it yet. I am still shopping for the screen. I don't know what brand is good. Plus I don't know what size to get. The ceiling is 6 feet high.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...,758286,00.asp

In the last paragraph, "Note that you wouldn't want to use this projector if your source material was from a home theater setup that supported only S-Video -- there's no built-in deinterlacing hardware. "

Thank you for your response.

Does X1 have deinterlacing? What is deinterlacing?

I have Direct TV and i am currently connecting the reciever to my TV with a S-Video.

Have you ran it at 1024x768 yet? How does it look?

·
Registered
348 Posts
yea, the x1 does have deinterlacing handled by the Farjouda chip. Deinterlacing means taking a interlaced picture (one where every odd line is displayed, then every even, and back and forth) and displaying all the lines at once (progressive)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyDaves
Duckie,

Jimmy
How's gaming so far with the X1?

-duckie201-

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by duckie201
How's gaming so far with the X1?

-duckie201-
Not good. I got owned just as hard on Tourney4 (Quake3) as I did on my old unit. Looks great though....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Gaming is great on the X1.

Both Console and PC!

My Xbox looks awesome, and I play PC games at both 800x600 and 1024x768.

The X1 does the best job I have seen on a SVGA projector of scaling 1024x768 down to 800x600. On my windows desktop, text is clearly readable, and when I run WinDVD HTPC movies, they look pretty much just as good at either 800x600 or 1024x768.

So 1024x768 gaming is great.

PS: Medal of Honour on the big screen is awesome!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Medal of Honor on the XBox with a Mitsubish SL1U is CRAZY. To bad the game doesn't support 1080i or 720p!! I'll have to try the PC version for better graphics.

But on a HUGE screen it is so much easier to sniper people with a finger hanging over the edge :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KoolKiwi
Gaming is great on the X1.

Both Console and PC!

My Xbox looks awesome, and I play PC games at both 800x600 and 1024x768.

The X1 does the best job I have seen on a SVGA projector of scaling 1024x768 down to 800x600. On my windows desktop, text is clearly readable, and when I run WinDVD HTPC movies, they look pretty much just as good at either 800x600 or 1024x768.

So 1024x768 gaming is great.

PS: Medal of Honour on the big screen is awesome!
Can anyone post some images from xbox and PC games at 1024x768?

Thank you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am an avid pc gamer, and I also like xbox. Haven't hooked the xbox up yet though. I think the resolution is great. On my desktop PC I never notice much difference between 800 and 1024, only that when you run in 1024 you see more of the game area. The x1 scales 1024 to 800 nicely. It handles gaming very well. Now is the resolution as good as an xga native 1024 projector? Well no. But it's a lot less expensive, and handles gaming extremely well. Very impressive picture. The sharpness and size is amazing for gaming. Neverwinter nights looks cool playing on the projector.

I can answer more specifics if you have some question in particular. I wish I could tell you how differerent it is compared to an xga projector. I will say the x1 in my opinion is very good for gaming. I didn't have the extra 1500 bucks for the xga.

·
Registered
720 Posts
duckie201:

I have a Canon S40 digicam (4 megapixel), so will try and see if I can do some screen shots tonight for you.

I haven't tried taking pictures of a projected image before, so it will be interesting to see if the resulting pictures do justice to the image I am seeing.

nb: It's only early afternoon here at the moment, so it may be another 10 hours at the earliest before I get a chance to get any images uploaded.

Also, I might need some pointers on image posting... From what I can see, maximum image size is 640 pixels wide, so I don't see how this is going to portray an 800 pixel wide DLP projected image very well?

I might need to see if I can find a web site to host larger images, if I am to do this properly?

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello, since I own my SVGA projector (it´s now obsolete but still works fine for an LCD) I just play my PC games on the big screen. Nice to hear that the X1 scales XGA nicely to SVGA. Greg, your reports are very useful, pictures would be great.

Stefan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.