AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building my first gaming PC in a few months and am trying to understand through the net how it will all work. I still dont fully understand how installing a PC game on disc works?

I'm used to console games having to install games to a HDD, and I assumed it would work in the same way. If I buy a PC game on disc, what would I normally have to do to run it? And what about games that require Steam, would I need a net connection to get them running in the first place?

I'm asking this because I could need to change my ISP for an unlimited data one, as the one I'm using is a PAYG one, downloading a full game would deplete the data in no time lol.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Don't ever buy a PC game on disc. It's pretty pointless. Everything through major publishers requires online activation anyway. Anything that doesn't is a download only title that you can't buy in physical form.

Disc games do reduce your initial download, but do nothing about the 3GB of patches per game that you are likely to see. Shift ISPs to something with a much larger cap. This will also open up the option of watching a lot more online video.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I like discs lol, I enjoy collecting them I guess. May I ask why the disc versions reduce "Initial download"?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
The disc has locked, early data on it. Then for the month between when the disc is printed and the game is released the dev works on the first major patch. Installing off a retail disc consists of tying your game key to our Steam account, installing data from the disc, then downloading the patch. Then the disc never needs to touch your PC again. Alternatively, you can immediately throw the disc in the garbage, punch your game key in to Steam, then download the whole game in one go.

PC game discs are a very 2006 idea. They haven't been relevant for a long time now. You don't need to collect discs of your cellphone games. Why collect them for PC games? The only reason to buy the disc version is if it's cheaper than you can get the digital version. Then you shuck it like an ear of corn to get at the delicious key inside, type it in to Steam, then throw the entire physical package away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.