AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.1 speaker system in a small TV room, which I set up in 1993. I'm wondering how well you people think I did and will it serve me well in the future, when I eventually upgrade to a 7.1 A/V receiver with HDTV ?

The room is relatively small, because I live in a relatively small house. The speaker selection and placement was dictated by the requirements of functional furniture location, existing closet, room entrance, the antithesis of an ideal audiophile dream room. Relocation of furniture is not negotiable.

The room dimensions are a meager 100" height x 110" deep x 143" wide (yes it is wider than it is deep, entrance being off-centre on one of the 143 " wide walls). The listening position is on a couch centered on the other 143 " wide wall opposite the room entrance. Entertainment centre armoire, housing TV and all A/V equipment is centered on the 143" wide room entrance wall beside the room entrance.

All bookshelf speakers are wall mounted about 1 foot below the ceiling. The front speakers are ~2 feet from each side of the room and angled towards centre of opposite 143" wide wall and aimed down to the listening position. Surrounds are mounted on the 110" long side walls ~1 foot from the back 143" wide wall and aimed down to the listening position. Centre channel speaker is mounted on top of entertainment armoire and aimed down towards listening position. Subwoofer is to the side of entertainment armoire along the 143" room entrance wall, almost in the corner (room entrance is on other side of entertainment armoire along same wall).

I have Mirage M-190 speakers for front & surround positions, Mirage MCC-R centre channel position and Mirage PS-12-90 for subwoofer.

Am I correct in thinking that although I have room to wall mount two more surround speakers aimed down and angled back towards the listening position in centre of 110" side walls (God knows how I could find matching M-190's in this day & age), the room size doesn't warrant any more speakers ? Hopefully a new 7.1 receiver will simply matrix the extra two surround channels into the existing surround speakers ?

If it is best to go with a 7.1 speaker system, what speakers do I select that will match the existing M-190s ? Do I put the new speakers at the front positions or the side surround positions ? I'm a little reluctant to think about changing the front position speakers if they are going to be larger due to ergonomics (i.e. people will hit their head if speakers drop too low), that's why I used M-190s in the first place.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement welcome.

P.S. I still haven't figured out how to squeeze a 42" flat screen into the armoire yet either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well looks like my post went over like a lead ballon.

Did a bit more reading and in theory I should be adding back surrounds, behind the listening position for 7.1 speaker configuration. Of course I can't do that because the wall is behind the listening position. Does it make sense to install surroyns above the couch or am I just wasting my money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.