AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building my HTPC. For sound I am using a SB Live Value 4832. I connected both the digital out connector to my receiver, Denon 5800, and the 4 analog connections.

I was then surprised that all sound out of my HTPC goes out over the digital connection. Even when I play a game or an MP3.

For DVDs it is just passing through DD. But how does it work for music coming out of my HTPC? What is the format? Is it stereo? Is it quad? Is it always DD? I know the Xbox is going to do this but I don't think the SB can do this.

What digital format goes out over my digital connection from my PC to my receiver when an MP3 is playing?

Thanks,

-Jym-

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jym
But how does it work for music coming out of my HTPC? What is the format? Is it stereo? Is it quad? Is it always DD? I know the Xbox is going to do this but I don't think the SB can do this.

What digital format goes out over my digital connection from my PC to my receiver when an MP3 is playing?
It is always re-dithered 48kHz PCM bitstream.

i.e. it is bad quality (due to SB's horrible dithering algorithms and whatnot), I wouldn't recommend it and no, it's never in mp3 format (even when you play mp3s) but always uncompressed PCM (stereo - 2 channel only).

If you want to keep using your SB, then I recommend you use the analog outputs as they produce a better result sonically and you can use SB's 4 or 5 channel expansion for normal stereo signals.

Cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
982 Posts
I agree with Halcy, except that for DD/DTS passthrough from DVD does not have this problem and I would recommend the digital output of the SB card for that application. DVD's are natively 48kHz, but I'm not sure it matters when talking about passthrough mode.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.