AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sat provider (Starchoice) is again asleep at the wheel and we're still watching the PBS demo loop. How does Notting Hill look? High-def master or DVD upconvert?

Later,

Miles

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
As I recall, it looked very good. I have absolutely no recollection as to whether it was an HD transfer or upconvert. After all the recent discussions on this issue, which I believe ended up leading nowhere, I no longer care. I enjoyed it.

Now, I predict that there will be 7 votes for very good, 15 votes for very bad (only because I think it was an upconvert and this immediately turns off a great number of viewers), and 30 votes for somewhere in between. :D

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
If you're referring to when "Notting Hill" was shown on Showtime-HD yes, it was an OAR upconvert, and one of the better ones that Showtime has shown. I am very curious to see if ABC will actually use a new HD transfer tonight. We don't have ABC-HD in NYC anymore. :(

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I'm not sure what Notting Hill's OAR is, It was 1.85:1(filling screen) here in Cincy --- Excellent PQ here though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, it was quite nice here in Philly, too. And I can't believe I saw the whole damn insufferably cute, feel-good, predictable movie. It's amazing how you just can't stop watching pretty HDTV pctures.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It looked great, *much* better than Armageddon and The Sixth Sense (which is weird - why not make the higher-grossing movie in better quality?). Noticeably better than DVD quality.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is my first Super 35 film that I have knowingly seen in which they opened the matte to get 16:9. This may be why it looked so good. It was edited for language and the T-shirt was visually altered to "Let's have sex now" from "Fancy a Fxxx" (without the xxx's). After several years KABC has finally got the idea that lip movement and speech should be coordinated. In order to fit the 124 minute movie into 180 minutes they were forced to remove the credits.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, they cropped it. NH is 2.35:1.

As for edits, I noticed these (not including the t-shirt):

- When Spike went out in front of the reporters they drew his underwear to cover his whole bottom.

- When Julia Roberts gets out of bed and walks past the camera, she magically had clothes on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.