AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This unit has no mounting holes or screws in the bottom, except one foot that screws for adjustability (and can easily be removed, so there's 1 hole) and one mystery screw that is directly under the lens area, undocumented. If this hole can be used, then that makes 2 holes at diagonally opposite corners, which would be fine for this little 3.3 lb unit.

All the manual says about ceiling mounting is: "don't do it yourself, have a professional do it, or you might drop it and break it." Very helpful. So how do the pros find out how to do it?

Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Duct tape

If something can move and you want it to stay, use duct tape.

If something wont move and you want it to, use WD40.

------------------

Tryg Hoff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. Peerless didn't have anything that I could find (maybe I was looking in the wrong place?). Chief will have something in about 4 weeks they said.

What I really want to do is more of a DIY mount, by screwing the projector to a board, and using a speaker bracket to mount the board to the ceiling. So all I want is to find 2 or 3 screw holes in the right place, or some creative way to do this.

Has anyone with an LT150 attempted to mount it the ceiling yet, in any way?

Has anyone unscrewed that mystery screw under the lens compartment? I'm thinking that's my ticket, but my fear is that it's actually holding the lens in place, and then I'll have trouble putting things back together in quite the same way, and my projector (thus my life) will be ruined! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Well I exaggerate perhaps, but it sure could ruin my day. And I certainly wouldn't want to void the warranty (I've had it all of 4 days).

Then there's that extendable foot in the front that lets you tilt it upward when it's sitting on a table. I suppose one could devise a way to clamp on to that, but it really isn't THAT sturdy when you try to hold it upside down by that foot... it would be kludgy. A regular screw hole would be so much better.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
914 Posts
What do you think of the picture from your new LT150?

-=-

Mark Hoy

------------------

JVC G1000 DILA

Sony: SAT-B3, DTC-100,STR-DA777ES Receiver

Toshiba: SD-3109 DVD

Proscan 27" TV

B&W: DM601, CC6, DS6B, 800ASW speakers

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mark,

I love this LT150! It does a respectable job with S-video, but I got a glimpse of things to come with HTPC... I connected my kids' computer to its VGA (a very modest Celeron system with a built-in video adaptor, and a nothing-special dvd drive) and saw a dramatic improvement in the picture. Now I can't wait to see what a real HTPC will do for this projector.

I'm very happy with the blacks and contrast + brightness. Even on the blackout material, and a good dose of ambient light, I get a very viewable picture. In fact, under the same circumstances, I was watching the image alongside our 27" TV, expecting the projected image to be dark and washed out by comparison, and was amazed to see that it seemed almost just as bright.

The colors are also excellent. I see good-looking reds. If it does suffer from too much yellow in the reds, it's lost on me.

The screendoor is a bit more visible than I would have expected, although I don't have much to compare it to. I've been trying out different image sizes to see how big a screen I can go with relative to our relatively short viewing distance of 10-11 ft. As I move toward the screen, it's not the resolution per se that first becomes an issue, it's the screendoor. I would be totally safe going with a 60" wide screen (about 2:1 viewing distance), although I'm sort of hoping for more like 72" or even 80". I will reserve final judgement until I have my HTPC. ('course that won't do anything for my pixel structure.)

Looking forward to seeing how it looks on your Grayhaw, Mark http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Now if I can just figure out how to mount it to the ceiling...

Paul

·
Registered
375 Posts
PaulM,

Check out the Peerless PSRL-40 mount. It is clamping style unit with their standard quick disconnect mount - good for bulb replacement. Requires no holes in projector to mount. D.C. is about $125, look for in the $160-$190 retail range plus any special ceiling/truss adaptors.

Thumper

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, I WAS looking in the wrong place on the Peerless site (Consumer instead of commercial). Thank you. The universal mount is one option, they also indicate a model PJRL-NC4 for the LT150, but no picture or details for it.

I've asked them for details, so I can see how the adaptor plate attaches to the LT150. I would still rather just do my own, since theirs is big and black, and kind of overkill for hanging a little 3lb thing. I have a speaker bracket (good for 8lb) which is small, white, and has tilt and rotate, which I picked up for $20. So I would save a couple hundred bucks, plus have a smaller, more elegant solution.

If there turns out to be no suitable screw holes, I could also strap it to a board. (But that will make lamp replacement a pain, as well as the occassional need to remove it and bring it places.)

I also may just break down and loosen the mystery screw, and see if the earth moves. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Paul

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
A number of very small projectors have a screwhole underneath that mounts to a camera tripod. Does the LT150?

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tripod mounting hole would be great, but no -- unless it's remarkably well hidden.

Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I couldn't stand it anymore... I unscrewed the mystery screw. The earth didn't pitch, roll, or yaw. No fire came spewing out the hole, nor did any demons, so far as I could tell.

It's a mounting hole! The screw is short, just 1/8", with a fine thread that exactly matches that of the adjustable foot in the back (opposite) corner.

So there it is. 2 mounting holes on opposite corners, so with the right screws and spacers, this will easily mount securly onto a board. Whew!

Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what it's worth, here's the official response I just got from NEC tech support:

Quote:
We do not offer a ceiling mount for the LT150. This product was designed to be a very portable desktop projector. It also does not have any mounting screw holes. We would not recommend that you attempt to modify your projector for mounting screws. It may be best to contact companies who specialize in mounting solutions for projectors. They MAY have some solution for the LT150. You may contact Premier at 800-368-9700 or Peerless at 800-865-2112.
...Humph. It's really as if they just don't want anyone mounting this to a ceiling at all. Yet they offer features in the projector for doing just that. Very strange...

Well, we'll show them http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by PaulM (edited 03-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by PaulM (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Anyway, tell us when you plan on starting this project!
I don't expect to get far on it this week, too busy. In about a week I'll have my HTPC, and once I do I can see how good my picture will really look, and I'll decide how far back to mount the projector. Then the fun begins with running cables and mounting the unit. I'll be sure to share some pix.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Denise Carr at Peerless sent me a fax of their LT150 mount. The page that shows the LT150 is almost completely illegible, but it told me what I needed to know.

1. They use the same 2 holes I mentioned to mount the "adaptor plate" to the projector.

2. They show a 3rd mounting hole in the location of the other rear rubber foot. I took mine off (it's glued on), and sure enough, there is another threaded hole hiding under it, same thread as the other ones.

By the way, their mount as a whole looks good. I wouldn't mind using it if I weren't so cheap. And I assume it only comes in black but I'm not positive.

(I'm still in shock over NEC's message: "It does not have any mounting screw holes." What IS up with them? Why would they say that?)

If anyone wants the eFax file, email me, and I'll send it to you. (You will need to download and install the eFax viewer to see it, but it's free & easy.)

Paul

·
Registered
505 Posts
Paul

Does the LT150 allow you to invert the image in the menu so that it can be mounted upside down on the ceiling?

Does the Peerless mount PJRL-NC4 allow for quick release?

Thanks

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary P. Gibbs:
Does the LT150 allow you to invert the image in the menu so that it can be mounted upside down on the ceiling?
Yes on the image flipping. Don't know about the peerless mount.

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't remember the price on the Peerless mount, but I'd guess it was somewhere between $200 and $300. It was adjustable in all dimensions, and they offer extension poles to drop it lower from the ceiling.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.