AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming from a level of ignorance here, regarding "Superbit" DVD's. I have looked on my DVD's and also at sites on the web were I have purchased them.
  • Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a standard DVD and a "Superbit" by info on DVD jacket etc..
  • typically how much more expensive are they than standard DVD's.
  • Are these specially manufactured by a separate company, like Criterion did for LD's in the past?

Thanks, Don

JVC G11, hushbox, VuTek 3X4 100" screen, AVS 1Hgz HTPC, Dish Net HD6000, HBOHD & ShowTimeHD, Lexicon MC-1 7.1, NHT 2.9's, AC2, 1.5's, DT BP2X Surrounds and Sub, BK amp, Rotel amp, 4DTV "C" band BUD, Pioneer LD, Pronto TSU2000.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Err... You seem to be under the impression that "Superbit" is some kind of a standard. It's not. Rather, it's a product line offered by Columbia/Tristar. They contain higher bit rate video, DD & DTS audio but no special features. Most on this forum seem rather pleased by the Superbits that have been released so far. Only a handful of titles have been released to date. They include "The Fifth Element", "Air Force One", "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" and a few others.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starsaur,

Thanks, now the answers to the other questiions. Is there somthing on the Columbia/Tristar DVD jacked that indicates that the DVD is at a higher bit rate and are they generally more expensive. If these DVD's are special, where have people been purchasing them.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.