AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering for those who have seen this projector, how does it stack up to similarly priced projectors. Also, for those who have seen both, how does it compare to the Infocus 5700? Strengths weaknesses, and so forth. Thank you for your input in advance.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I think it stacks up about like you might expect... very similar to the Z2, slightly worse than the HS20, and better than it's predecessors. If that sounds vaugue, that's because it is :). I'd read hte reviews here and on Projectorcentral for a good comparison.

-MP

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
madpoet - please explain in what areas the HS20 is slightly better?

·
Registered
195 Posts
For one, it has higher resolution (1365x768).

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Ok, the HS20 is 1365x768 and the Z2 is 1280x720. Big deal. Specs don't even begin to tell the whole story.

Who has seen both PJs - and if so - does the HS20 have superior PQ? If so, please explain where. Thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi,

I too am interested in this comparison as I am planning on upgrading my 300 to either the 500 or the Z2 (mainly for better HDTV and PC resolution).

thanks,

Dennis:)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Quote:
Ok, the HS20 is 1365x768 and the Z2 is 1280x720. Big deal. Specs don't even begin to tell the whole story.

*sigh* No need to be beligerent about it. In this case, specs do tell a fairly good story. With a 720p projector, you cannot display 1024x768 uncompressed. This leads to video distortion. The higher resolution DOES matter. I own the AE500 and freely admit that I wish I had waited and got the HS20 strictly because of that. And again, there are HUNDREDS of reviews of all 3 here. Reading them will:

a) Scare the crap out of you about all of them, and

b) let you know the questions you should be asking :).

-MP

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Reading them will:

a) Scare the crap out of you about all of them, and

b) let you know the questions you should be asking .
That's a good one. :D

It took me weeks to read all 3 of them (as much as the search displayed) + BENQ, Optoma, Infocus DLPs u name it.... before my first post! There's no perfect candidate among three and each got its pros and cons. HOw does Pj x compare to Pj y only get proud onwer of x and y into flight. You don't get much out of it but opinions.

I ageed with Mappoet, read up and u should find the answer there, if not

These's what i think is critical besides the PQ.

- screen offset of pj x for screen size Y

- problems using DVD X,HD OTA.. DVI connection with PJ Y

- Filters model and thread size

- HTPC 1:1 Mapping and configuration for PJ y

- Throwing distance, well, we know where to find it...

- Matching screen for non/light control room

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Well,

It appears that the FedEx boys are a bunch of sissy's. Not to offend any sissy's in the audience, but come on, 4 inches of snow keeps you from delivering my pj for 2 days? My mailman can get here to deliver my Target catalog and junk mail, but the FedEx man can't make it here with my $2K projector!

"Delay beyond our control."

Bah! Sissy's. I worked at UPS in college, we didn't stop for this. :)

Anyhow, venting over. Review to follow, but it will likely be Saturday before I can compare thoroughly, I'm booked for the next 2 days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
MP wrote, "With a 720p projector, you cannot display 1024x768 uncompressed." When would I display 768p anyway? HDTV is either 720p of 1080i, right? Just curio-so...

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
When you hook up your PC as an HTPC but want to play video games :). 1280x720 is nice, but only for games that support custom resolutions (Quake3 based games, and a few others). Most of them have hardcoded resolutions. 800x600 is overbearing, and may very well be stretched on your projector. I know via DVI, any resolution I send my AE500 gets translated to 1280x720. Which, like I said, squishes and stretches 1024x768. Again, these are all pros and cons. You have to decide what you want.

-MP

·
Registered
317 Posts
jacksonian

can't you take those two days off?

this is worth it!

can't wait to hear your evaluation and comparison =)

Jason

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Jason,

Well, we're "On FedEx vehicle for delivery" again today. We'll see. The temp is up, the sun is out, the snow is melting. They really need to make it today! It's killing me. It should have been here Friday but the web retailer dragged their feet getting it out, and now this. It's been in my town since Sunday morning.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
jacksonian,

I PM'd you.

I agree with Jason. Just call in sick. Blame it on the snow! It's not like you live in Alaska or something!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
madpoet, thankfully all the really good games have widescreen support =P, i can play call of duty, the new "far cry" demo (looks amazing), all UT engine games, all quake engine games, vice city, midnight club racing, and for all others i use 1024x768, wich i know is compressed but doesn't look half as bad as i tought it would look, the price of the HS20 is too high for me, even tough i could defenetly use extra resolution (wich IMO is unproportionate to the price) i just can't afford it =(. it really sucks how all EA games don't support widescreen even tough their x-box coutnerparts do... same goes for blizzard games, i play warcraft 3 a lot, and alltough i can get the game to display at 1280x720 there's no way to fix the aspect ratio, same goes for a bunch of games, but half life 2 works, doom 3 SHOULD work (not sure about that, but considering past games it's a safe bet) far cry works...

i'm a big car racing game fan, it's a shame we don't get a game like gran turismo 4 on the PC =(

·
Registered
313 Posts
What resolutions can the PT-AE500U resolve from a PC? I ordered the projector last week and should have it next Thursday at the latest. I am planning on a HTPC setup in a few weeks here.

BTW,

This is my first post and I have been reading the forum for sometime now. I have found it very informative and hope I will be able to contribute in the future.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.