AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe not the best title, but I'm wondering if you have a 480i DVD player, and you plug it into the component input on the projector, will the projector upconvert that signal? If so, to what resolution? If so, will you see an improvement with a progressive scan DVD player?

If the Sharp does not upconverting, then it just passes through whatever resolution it comes across? For instance, if you have a DirectTV HD receiver, and you use the RGB pass thru to the projector. When it is showing HD, it will show it in the set resolution (say 720p), but when showing SD satellite (480i), how will it handle that coming from RGB? Because on the Sharp, you have to set what resolution is coming in on the RGB input. I probably am not making sense, but I'm trying to figure out how best to connect all my components to my projector.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'll do my best to give you a simple answer. The Sharp has a scaler which converts all signals to 720P which is it's native resolution (hold on I'll get to input 5). For example, if you feed it 480i, it will upconvert it to 720p. If you feed it a 1080i signal it will also convert that to 720p. The exception is, if you have the latest firmware and if you use input 5, you can bypass the internal scaler.

It seems that in the majority of the posts I've read, most people prefer the picture from a progressive DVD player. I'm on the fence. Although I didn't do a side by side, the picture from my Panny A310 interlaced DVD player wasn't any worse than the picture I get from my Panny RP91.

I have a question. If you feed the Sharp a 720p signal thru input 1 or 2, will it upconvert that signal from 720p to 720p? If yes, would you be better feeding it a 1080i signal?

Harlan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.