AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a Slingbox. The laptop that would be running as the client is a Toshiba Qosimo G15; the operating system is Microsoft’s Media Edition 2005. I would like to watch and record live TV from my digital set top box via the slingbox and then to the laptop. The question I have is "How does slingox interact with MCEâ€, or do I have to use the Sling Media software to record TV, watch recorded TV, etc. I really like to utilize one system that being MCE since it is used for other media functions.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
AIUI Slingbox is an entirely self contained system, designed to hardware stream composite/s-video or ota analogue video from an antenna or external set-top-box.

The video from the Slingbox can only be streamed into the Slingplayer application, and is not integrated into MCE.

The Sling player is only really aimed at live streaming. I don't believe Slingmedia provide recording facilities for the streamed video (for all sorts of reasons) - they are more aiming for people to use it "live" with an existing Tivo or similar device (connected at the video level, not at a data level)

The best way of thinking about the Slingbox is as a kind of Video Sender for a network, or even as a very long composite extension cord (albeit with compressed video)... It just provides a pipe for a live video stream from A to B,with a reverse feed of data to allow B to operate an infra red remote controlled device at A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.