AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If you mean reflections to your ears - How about stands / raising them. Maybe with pads underneath. It will substantially diminish the sound that can be reflected, and increase the distance it has to travel to get to your ears. Without taking all the desk space.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Totally serious comment here, but looking at that setup, first reflections off your desk might be the least of your concerns. Perhaps invest in a better set of headphones and move the equipment out of the kitchen?

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Eesh...

I always recommend acoustical treatments but in your case, you have far bigger problems. Placing speakers directly on a large, reflective table is not conducive to quality sound reproduction...if you care enough about the sound to buy acoustical products you need to change your whole listening environment. Placing a thin absorptive pad on the computer desk is not going to help very much.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18244282

And get the turntable off the receiver while you're at it!

it's not used at the moment - temp until i get my flexy rack built ... but thanks for input

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/18244714

it's a 1room studio loft, sheesh.

what do my headphones have to do with this thread/topic?

the table is temp (this stuff just came in the other week)..until i build my flexy rack. relax.

I was suggesting that maybe you should abandon trying to make the speakers sound better because the setup presents far more issues than those you asked about in your original post. A new set of nice cans would probably be a better solution than the approach that it seemed you were taking above (i.e., acoustic treatments for the wall behind the speakers and reflections on the desk).

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
That room is still really "hard". There is almost nothing to absorb sound other than the traps and lots of very hard surfaces to reflect it - concrete, brick, glass and wood! You might want to soften the rest of the room up a bit with carpeting, drapes, wall coverings, acoustic damping material, whatever.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/18244850

to be honest, everything sounds fairly great at the moment. i dont have any obvious complaints except for the 150hz spike.

im just learning and trying to be pro-active/cover my bases/ask questions/continue learning....it's just a music setup; nothing important.

i didn't think id get so much flak for asking a question...

and the acoustic treatment doesn't just help for audio - it helps with speaking, reducing overall echo, etc... it helps the room from a living standpoint - not just an audio standpoint.

also, i've only recently moved into this place...im still gathering ideas on furniture arrangement and things of that nature (e.g. that wall outlined in the above pic that i might build)...im still in the learning/development phase of this loft. nothing has been finalized yet...learning as i go.

No disrespect meant. I think a lot of the posters are merely suggesting that you have some challenges ahead
I would maybe look into rearranging the room a bit so that the speakers can sit on stands, and then try to address any peaks once you've softened the room and some of the hard reflective surfaces (as one poster mentions above).

Fyi, I bought quite a few of the coffee bag covered panels from ATS Acoustics in December. They really helped soften my walls (and add an interesting aesthetic touch).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts