AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technology is ever advancing :rolleyes: . It is called rear projection. Does it shine a light located at the back of the set through a translucent pixeled panel of some sort forward onto the screen? I think thats how the LCD projection sets work. How does the picture become 60 or 70 inches big if the crystals themselves are so small? Sometimes I think the light is sent backward to the crystals and the reflection is bounced back to the screen making it a rear/forward projection system.

I have seen a Qualia 70inch set in action with perfect source material and the picture quality was so good it made me laugh. Sorta like my Corvette does under full throttle :p ! Like looking at reality in a box :)

I find it sorta strange though when the technology cannot be explained in simple terms by my local video store. Arthur C. Clarke said when a technology becomes advanced enough it becomes like magic. I don't think we are at the magic stage yet. HELP... :eek: Somebody must understand this in layman's terms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did try searching first. But felt like I needed a better explanation. That second link did the job "I think". It is what I thought , that we are seeing a reflection of a tiny incredibly detailed picture that is sent through some type of zoom optical lens to be blown up and displayed to the eye at the front 70 inch screen. This mechanism of displaying a picture might be better named "Rear Reflection" if I am seeing the way it works properly :rolleyes: . Please give me your views on this.

This technology seems to be way different than just sending light forward through translucent colored pixels from the back of the set. "Assuming that's what LCD projection technology is". The picture quality in my humble opinion with impeccable source material is quite amazing. Of course the display technology is far more advanced at this point in time than the "normal" source material that is being transmitted.

Perhaps the TV set manufacturers need to help the broadcasters come up to speed. Goodness, if the picture is this good with 1080 interlaced, I fear what it would look like with true 1080 progressive source material.

If a picture on a TV looks like looking out a window , the next improvement will be giving us all 20 - 15 vision so we can enjoy the picture to it's fullest ;) . Any more improvement lies in better source material. We can only see so well!!!! :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.