AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using a DSS STB to watch OTA HD...can you channel surf through all stations (satellite and OTA) on the same menu/OSD? Or do you have to exit out of DTV/Dish and go to OTA...and does the OSD show the channel you're on when surfing OTA HD?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Using Dish network and the 6000 receiver with an 8VSB modular you just surf any channel you want without changing anything. Off the air stations show up in the guide and are supposed to tell you whats on ABC, CBS and NBC between 7 and 10pm local time.

The only difference is when going directly to a local station like say channel 3, you will have to put 003 if you go to channel 20 you will have to put 020, if you are going to a digital channel like 8.1 you would just put 08 and 8.1 will show up. Say you wanted to go to a channel like 8.3 it would be 0803 and 8.3 will show up. This is on Dish 6000 only I don't know about Direct TV.

Bill

·
Registered
552 Posts
D* boxes will also display OTA and satellite on the OSD. All the channels are integrated regardless of source.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Jeff: We could answer this question better if we knew what STB you either have or are planning on getting. There are almost as many ways of accessing OTA stations vs. sat. stations as there are STBs. Some integrate everything, some don't.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not final on what box. There aren't many choices to look at locally. I lean toward the Zenith after reading exhaustively on the forum, but would consider others.

PQ is priority 1, then ease and speed of use of menu. But I want the menu to be intergrated for OTA and DSS if it can,

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
One thing with the Dish 6000, you can't see program info on the Digital channel, you have to mate the Analog channel with an affiliate (ABC, CBS, NBC) and then you see the listings on the Analog OTA channel only.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Smith
I'm not final on what box. There aren't many choices to look at locally. I lean toward the Zenith after reading exhaustively on the forum, but would consider others.

PQ is priority 1, then ease and speed of use of menu. But I want the menu to be intergrated for OTA and DSS if it can,
You've pretty much described the Hughes HIRD E-86. I don't know what local electronic stores are located in the Tidewater area but if you have a Tweeter, you should be able to locate a new Hughes box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.