AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Panasonic STB has had its software upgraded and its guide speeded up, how does it compare to the Sony? Is the Panasonic now the selection of choice? Are there still things the Sony will do that the Panasonic won't?

I was getting ready to buy the Sony, based on all the feedback on this forum, but now that that the Panasonic has been upgraded, I'm not so sure.

[This message has been edited by lhl12 (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chek out the new issue of "Perfect Vision" which has a nicely done "shootout" comparing the 4 available DirectTV set top boxes. What I learned from the article is that, unlike the Zenith, each box has some compromises that are pretty annoying. The major problem I had with the Panny was that it had only 2 rf tuners, so you have to diplex if you have cable and rooftop ota. I have decided on the Sony due to that problem, and since I don't need 720p output. One of the Sony downsides is the lack of the DirectTV "Advanced Program Guide". Instead the Sony has their own version that lacks program information, but does integrate all 3 tuners for one guide with all your channels...a nice upgrade from the DTC-100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
from "The Perfect Vision" article by Gary Merson issue#37

The Sony SAT-HD100 has the following problems:

* 480i to 1080i upconversion has many artifacts

* No gray bars with upconversion of 4:3 material

* No Advanced Program Guide local-channel information

* Intermittent blackouts with certain Directv channels

* No 4:3 mode with HD signals

The Panasonic TU-HDS20 has the following problems:

* No signal-strength meter for digital ATSC broadcasts

* Vertical blanking bars next to gray bars when upconverting native NTSC 4:3 programs

* Only one RF input for cable, or terrestrial signals

* Cannot receive analog cable channels above 13 and ATSC(HD)

signals at the same time

...."the best I could do with this Panasonic was to use an A/B switch for antenna and cable and limit myself to channels 2-13 on cable..."

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
pence, can you please explain the following:

Cannot receive analog cable channels above 13 and ATSC(HD)

signals at the same time...."the best I could do with this Panasonic was to use an A/B switch for antenna

and cable and limit myself to channels 2-13 on cable..."

so the panny unit cannot receive cable tv above 13?

i thought u were supposed to diplex the sat/cable

NOT cable/OTA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.