AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must first say that I currently own a Panasonic th-50px77u. After having it for just about a month, I now realize its to small for me. Also, I think that the anti glare coating on my 77u dulls the picture a little bit. I do 80% of my viewing at night so glare/reflections are not an issue. So I started looking at 58"+ plasma displays. Now heres the situation.

One of my buddies has the exact same problem that I have. About three months ago he purchased a fp-t6374 plasma and now he thinks its to small. He is going to sell it and buy a projector setup.

I had just about finalized my decision to pick up a th-58pz700u and then my buddy made me an offer. He said he would sell me his basically brand new fp-t6374 for the same price I could get the 58" Panasonic for which is $2800. Now I know that the Pioneer 6010fd display is better than both of the displays I am comparing but it is at least $1000 more then the two displays I am considering.

Now I obviously have seen his Samsung display in action a few times but not for long enough to make a decision. Is the picture quality on the 58-700u compareabe to the 63" Samsung or is it leaps and bounds better?

I would enjoy the extra 5" screen size of the Samsung but if the PQ is substantially better on the Panny then it would not be worth it.

Any opinions/suggestions from people who have experience with both sets ?

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/12954323

I must first say that I currently own a Panasonic th-50px77u. After having it for just about a month, I now realize its to small for me. Also, I think that the anti glare coating on my 77u dulls the picture a little bit. I do 80% of my viewing at night so glare/reflections are not an issue. So I started looking at 58"+ plasma displays. Now heres the situation.

One of my buddies has the exact same problem that I have. About three months ago he purchased a fp-t6374 plasma and now he thinks its to small. He is going to sell it and buy a projector setup.

I had just about finalized my decision to pick up a th-58pz700u and then my buddy made me an offer. He said he would sell me his basically brand new fp-t6374 for the same price I could get the 58" Panasonic for which is $2800. Now I know that the Pioneer 6010fd display is better than both of the displays I am comparing but it is at least $1000 more then the two displays I am considering.

Now I obviously have seen his Samsung display in action a few times but not for long enough to make a decision. Is the picture quality on the 58-700u compareabe to the 63" Samsung or is it leaps and bounds better?

I would enjoy the extra 5" screen size of the Samsung but if the PQ is substantially better on the Panny then it would not be worth it.

Any opinions/suggestions from people who have experience with both sets ?

I wish their were reviews for the 6374 from video nuts that would comment on performance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe he meant reviewers such as CNET, HD Guru, Home Theater Magazine etc. Before I posted this, I did a search and read through just about every post I could find on the Samsung. Even in the owners thread within the first few pages people ask if there are any differences between the 5884 and the 6374 besides cosmetics/audio. I never seen an official answer yet.

Anyone else care to voice their opinion on these two sets?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/12963402

I believe he meant reviewers such as CNET, HD Guru, Home Theater Magazine etc. Before I posted this, I did a search and read through just about every post I could find on the Samsung. Even in the owners thread within the first few pages people ask if there are any differences between the 5884 and the 6374 besides cosmetics/audio. I never seen an official answer yet.

Yes. Here is how I would rank them...

1. Pioneer 6010FD

2. Panasonic 58PZ700U

3. Samsung 6374

Out of the three the 6374 is very pixelated and does not produce the best picture quality of the either the Pioneer or Panasonic. It represents a great value, however, now that the 65PZ750U has came down in price, there is no question that the Samsung does represent the best value anymore. Overall, the picture is good, but I would lean towards the 58PZ700U.

Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/12963490

Out of the three the 6374 is very pixelated

Can you please elaborate on this. I have seen in another thread that you think it appears pixelated upon closer inspection. Does this mean looking at the display up close from a few feet away or do you mean at normal viewing distances?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Samsung is junk. Don't buy it. It flickers in bright scenes and is not very sharp. Stand close to the display and you will see it has an LCD like quality of being fuzzy and distorted.

Panasonic is a much better plasma. I'd buy a Panasonic over just about any plasma on the market. The picture is much better.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I wouldn't have chimed in on this but then I saw the "Samsung is junk" comment... LOL

I have the FP-T6374.

Initially, after coming from a highly-calibrated (by ISF) CRT, I was unprepared for some of the differences that plasma technology brings. The idle luminance caused by the priming charge freaked me out at first. Until I went back to the home theater shop and saw the Kuros doing the same thing (it was an improvement, maybe 10% or so). The other thing that solved my "concerns" was discovery of "Movie" mode. That cleared up all my contrast issues that I was trying to tweak out of "Dynamic" and "Standard" mode.

That being said, I am thrilled with this set now! Accordingly, I have no idea what these other posters are talking about...

Pixelation?

I'd like more info on what this person feels he is seeing. Sometimes people associate pixelation to the TV when it is, in fact, a problem with high compression of the source material. We have an NBC station that has a subchannel, so they recompress their main 1080i broadcast to make room for a 480i subchannel. Thus, compression artifacts occur. It's unavoidable. Same thing happens with satellite and digital cable. Old CRT televisions mask this pretty good. Not so with these high-end plasmas. If your source material is garbage, expect it to look poor.

Sharpness and flicker?

I just had to LOL. That's one thing I was amazed to see anybody say! I have a Toshiba HD-A20 and the built-in ATSC digital tuner. I've watched a ton of 1080i and 1080p/24 material. I've never seen flicker. As far as sharpness is concerned, I can walk right up to the set and and see pixel-accuracy. There's no fuzz around anything! If there's a one-pixel thick horizontal line, it shows up as a one-pixel thick horizontal line. There's no blurry edges or anything of the sort! (I am thinking this person must have seen a broken unit...)

I am completely thrilled by the Samsung now that I am aware of inherent differences between plasma and CRT technology.

I just watched Blade Runner in HD the other day and, just as another poster stated in another thread, it was a truly cinematic experience! The Samsung is so good, that when I picked my jaw up off the floor after seeing just how good the release is, I walked up to the screen and could actually watch the movie from three feet away; the image on the Samsung is just that solid and satisfying.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoX /forum/post/12965141

I wouldn't have chimed in on this but then I saw the "Samsung is junk" comment... LOL

Don't pay any attention to him. He writes that Samsung is junk 12 times a day. Fact is the guy owned a Vizio last year. True. So that tells you a lot

·
Registered
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/12963402

Here's my opinion on the subject --> Tell your buddy that if you don't want to buy it for $2,800, I WILL.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoX /forum/post/12965141

I have the FP-T6374.

Initially, after coming from a highly-calibrated (by ISF) CRT, I was unprepared for some of the differences that plasma technology brings. The idle luminance caused by the priming charge freaked me out at first. Until I went back to the home theater shop and saw the Kuros doing the same thing (it was an improvement, maybe 10% or so). The other thing that solved my "concerns" was discovery of "Movie" mode. That cleared up all my contrast issues that I was trying to tweak out of "Dynamic" and "Standard" mode.

That being said, I am thrilled with this set now! Accordingly, I have no idea what these other posters are talking about...

Pixelation?

I'd like more info on what this person feels he is seeing. Sometimes people associate pixelation to the TV when it is, in fact, a problem with high compression of the source material. We have an NBC station that has a subchannel, so they recompress their main 1080i broadcast to make room for a 480i subchannel. Thus, compression artifacts occur. It's unavoidable. Same thing happens with satellite and digital cable. Old CRT televisions mask this pretty good. Not so with these high-end plasmas. If your source material is garbage, expect it to look poor.

Sharpness and flicker?

I just had to LOL. That's one thing I was amazed to see anybody say! I have a Toshiba HD-A20 and the built-in ATSC digital tuner. I've watched a ton of 1080i and 1080p/24 material. I've never seen flicker. As far as sharpness is concerned, I can walk right up to the set and and see pixel-accuracy. There's no fuzz around anything! If there's a one-pixel thick horizontal line, it shows up as a one-pixel thick horizontal line. There's no blurry edges or anything of the sort! (I am thinking this person must have seen a broken unit...)

I am completely thrilled by the Samsung now that I am aware of inherent differences between plasma and CRT technology.

I just watched Blade Runner in HD the other day and, just as another poster stated in another thread, it was a truly cinematic experience! The Samsung is so good, that when I picked my jaw up off the floor after seeing just how good the release is, I walked up to the screen and could actually watch the movie from three feet away; the image on the Samsung is just that solid and satisfying.

Thanks for chiming in. I owned 2 Panny's, one a 50" amd one a 58". I like them. I had an chance to sell and install them. No one panel is perfect. I though I'd try something different with 1080p and bigger. Yes I wish it didn't have speakers and tuner. I wish it didn't have a shinny frame, but it's 63", 18 bit and can do 1:1 mapping, I use a scaler. By the way the price is right.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/12954323

I had just about finalized my decision to pick up a th-58pz700u and then my buddy made me an offer. He said he would sell me his basically brand new fp-t6374 for the same price I could get the 58" Panasonic for

One possible problem is that most if not all manufacturers will only warrantee the TV to the original purchaser so if Samsung also has this policy, you will have no factory warranty and as such you will also be unable to buy an extended warranty. Something to consider, and i don't think the extra 5" of screen size would be worth the risk. You pretty much can't go wrong with the 58PZ700U either . . . .

·
Registered
998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/12965775

Don't pay any attention to him. He writes that Samsung is junk 12 times a day. Fact is the guy owned a Vizio last year. True. So that tells you a lot

Consumer Reports ranked Vizio as a better plasma than Samsung. That should tell you what Samsung is.

BTW, Panasonic was ranked #1. Consumer Reports said Panasonic was the best plasma television they ever reviewed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts