Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everbody:

I have recently upgraded my stereo system with the THX 6.1 Onkyo 797 receiver. I was excited to hear the difference I would make with DVD movies and Prologic II effect for 2 channel recordings. But result is kind of disappointing. I could hear a very small difference with Prologic II on and off. I expected more dramatic surround effect but what I could notice was that the sound was coming from all the speakers and it added a very small spaciousness. For movies, I guess it depends on the source, but surround effect was not as much as I expected. Also, I realized the sound was generally a bit masked and lost sharpness in THX mode. Is this normal for this mode? I heard that THX would do something to the sound to make it sound a bit easier on the ears. Also, can I have your suggestion for a couple of DVDs with good surround effect? By the way, I don't use a subwoofer because 2 front speakers are rather big with 12" woofer. I also don't have a back surround speaker now.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
To get a great sounding setup you need all of the following:

Quality Speakers

Quality Reciever

Proper Speaker location

Good Room Accoustics

The one that is most neglected is the room accoustics.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I would agree. I had Chris Collins come over to do an audio analysis of my current HT. Not so good. We spent some time modelling improvements. I'm about to move into my big theater, so we'll have to have him back.

If you want the most from your equipment, you need to know your room'c acoustic fingerprint.

Ted

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Art,

I knew this would come up. I'm thinking late June. I'm building speakers right now. Takes some time. The theater is my MDF cutting area, since it's sealed and I can control the massive amounts of dust from the MDF. My regular shop is the biscuit joining / gluing / clamping area. It's like a little factory.

Should be a couple more weks on that. Then I can continue on the theater room.

What's new with you, Art? Any thoughts on PJs?

Ted

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my house built and set up my stuff 2 months ago. My living room is 24.5' x 21.5' and 22' Celina. It echos when you talk, but the music and sound carry through out the whole house so beautiful.

My system:

Denon 5803

Arcam DV-27

Mirage OM-5 Mains

Mirage OMC-2 Center

Mirage OMR-2 Sides and Rears

Mirage BPS-400 Front and Rear.

Pioneer HD 730 Pro

I am very pleased with everything. Sound and picture quality is amazing. I want to comment on THX format. My wife and I noticed quite soon that anything in THX is simply amazing to listen to. I have "Rogers Waters Live in the Flesh" when it is played my receiver auto selects THX 5.1 sound. With this DVD even the smallest note played on any instrument fills the room with sound. We have other DVD music that were recorded in DTS format and they sound flat.

Also, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are in THX format and the sound with my system is just stunning.

Regards,

Dano

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Michael, you are not using Pro-Logic 2 to listen to hear the surround effect are you? With that receiver, you should be using DTS or Dolby Digital.

Pro-Logic 2 switches from a mono rear with limited bandwidth to full range, discrete rear surround channels, derived from the two channel recording. You should notice that the surrounds are able to go higher in the sound spectrum as well as lower (if your speakers can do it). Otherwise, it is still getting the info out of two channels.

·
Registered
27,570 Posts
As with what Scott said....

If DTS, etc. sound flat compared to THX mode (probably prologic or some matrixed mode), you have things set up incorrectly or your receiver is not defaulting to the discrete soundtracks.

You'll be in for a big (positive) surprise as the DTS and DD soundtracks will supercede the matrix ones you are listening to.

Try Diana Krall Live or Eagles Live DTS DVDs in DTS. You'll be astounded.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
To follow up on what Jeff said and to answer your question

Quote:
How does your Home Theater sound?
The dts track on Diana Krall Live in Paris sounds like I am sat next to her at the piano - stunning - stunning!

- Rick

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here's what my home theater's frequency response looks like at my main seating position.

http://www.cmcpics.homestead.com/room_response.jpg

A plot like this really doesn't tell the whole story, additional time dependent measurements like RT60, impulse response, time/energy curves, and waterfall plots all combine to give you a picture of what your listening environment is like and how your system is performing in it. They can also give you pointers as to where the problems lie, and what you can do about it.

I've got some work to do on my room (adding some more acoustic treatments, building some walls, adding some eq) but things really sound much better than they look in this plot.

I think many forum members would be shocked to see what they are actually hearing in their theaters. It really doesn't look like those nice flat frequency response charts you see in the speaker specs. The room counts for a whole, whole lot.

·
Registered
27,570 Posts
Thanks to Chris above (Mysphyt), my room is much flatter. I was shocked to see my response initially as I thought that the proper design and acoustic material placement would ameliorate such problems. It helped but Chris found some pretty large holes in the plots of the room's freq. response.

Chris is a talented pro and those who need an audio calibration would do well to contact him.

Chris, I believe, took my room from a 30 db range along the frequency plot to approx 4 - 6 db with his heavy duty equipment and my parametric EQs. Pretty darn flat.

My room is a Dennis E. design and Chris's talents have fine tuned it beautifully. I am still wanting to hear more soundtracks so I can better verbalize the improvements.

Thanks again, Chris.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I had the same response when Chris came to my place. We looked at my current HT in the family room, and he'll be back for the real HT when it's done in June.

I was left with the impression that anyone spending serious coin on audio needs to have a study like this done. Hell, if a few hundred dollars can help your $5K investment sound like $10K, who wouldn't have this done???

Ted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.