AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably 1-1/2 to 2 years away from actual construction on my HT. I've done some "conceptual" drawings to get an idea of what I might like, but is it too early to start formal planning? I'm going to be contacting Dennis since there's no way I'm spending this much money and not getting it done right, but I'm not sure if I'm jumping the gun. Should I have a budget first? I'm hoping that after hiring and speaking with Dennis that I can then develop a budget and plan accordingly. Is this an appropriate course of action?

While I realize that things like projector and surround technology may change over the next couple of years, am I safe to assume that basic good HT design will still be applicable? My plan is to build as much flexibility and "upgradeability" into the HT, so that as situations change (upgrades, new technology, etc.) I can adapt as well. This will be an entirely new addition with virtually no restrictions on design.

Am I crazy to be planning this far in advance? Thoughts from those that have gone through the process are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Its never to early to start getting ideas. Make a list of things you want to do as you run across them so you dont forget. A budget is important unless you're really luckily. It dictates everything. The more information you have when the time comes, the easier it will be.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I started a year before actual construction. Worth every day of planning/thinking/reading and harvesting ideas!

·
Registered
457 Posts
The only problem I can see with planning now, is you just might get the itch to actually start something before you're really ready.:D

Originally, I planned to build the Theatre room and setup the sound system, but hold off on the Projector for a few of years and just get a 60" TV.

But, then we decided to build the front speakers into the cabinetry. So, we figured it would be best to get the screen size and type all arranged since it was going to be an electric drop-down built-in to the cabinetry.

Since the screen was going up inside the cabinetry, we decided the center channel would have to go below the screen. Now, the big screen TV has to be placed in front of all the cabinetry, sticking out into the room, and blocking the center channel.

Around this time, we also decided that we wanted the "Theatre" look by having genuine stadium seating. Let's see 2 rows of 5 seats at $600 each...

The point is, get a really good understanding of just how you want to use the room and design toward that. You've probbaly made the best single decision already, and that is to have Dennis help you. He'll ask you all of the important questions, and one big one will be, "What's your budget?"

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
If your room is to be a build-out or part of other additions to your home, planning early is better and will save money.

I wish I would have had the theater design started when I started with the architect for the whole house renovations. My house is an 80 year old Federal style Colonial in dire need of updating including a new kitchen, master, and home theater as well as changing of exterior facade.

The house remodel was 1/2 done when I sprung the theater designer on the architect.

Needless to say at $100/hr plus other minions' fees, the architect went over every detail to facilitate the smooth integration of the theater with other parts of the home.

Dennis suggested a projection room in the rear - that needed to be designed and added to what was already drawn.

Dennis suggested the walls be studded a certain way that the architect agreed to...another change.

HVAC routes changed...need to re-bid with HVAC contractor.

Starscape...another re-bid

redesign of entry way....you got it!

Thus, if part of a larger remodel get the basics (room dimensions, number to be seated, screen size, etc.) all decided and start it after first rough plans with architect. It will pay dividends.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.