AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't always like to watch TV in the dark. Will Samsung's Real Black filter do anything the other filters don't under normal room lighting?

·
Registered
850 Posts
It is the blackest ambient light filter of any plasma ever made, no question about it. How useful it is depends on your living room lighting, so only you can make that call. At least when I think of "normal" room lighting, the real black filter would be complete overkill. Even the filters on the Panny G series and most lower Samsung plasmas will be enough to preserve contrast.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It's hard to see the 8000's in the wild under normal (or even store) lighting conditions and there doesn't seem to be many pictures of them in these conditions on any of the threads (at least that I have found).

I suppose you could get a pretty good idea of what the filter can do by comparing the video review on CNet vs. other plasmas that they have reviewed. Just don't expect any miracles.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...List.0;bingo.2

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige /forum/post/19563780

It is the blackest ambient light filter of any plasma ever made, no question about it. How useful it is depends on your living room lighting, so only you can make that call. At least when I think of "normal" room lighting, the real black filter would be complete overkill. Even the filters on the Panny G series and most lower Samsung plasmas will be enough to preserve contrast.

1 lamp in the room at a 45 degree angle about 7 feet away from the TV. The lamp is one of those lamps with a circular dish that aims the light up at the ceiling.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The black filter attentuates off-axis lighting. So in scenerios where light is hitting the screen from overhead, it will help reduce glare better than any PDP being sold.

However, in moderate lighting, there will be little difference in screen appearance between the black filter + filterbright (C8000) and filterbright alone (C7000,6500,550).

It's easiest to see the differences in person. FWIW, here are a couple shots of the 550 (top left) and 8000 (top right) in a retail environment. The sets on the bottom are various sizes of Panny's G25 (all of which are off.. the Samsungs on top are powered on).

No flash.

Flash. (Not a realistic scenario, as most people don't have their plasmas setup with a ton of light directly hitting the screen)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got back from Best Buy. To be honest, I couldn't see a difference between the two. Granted, they weren't in the same spots, but the regular AR filters on the Samsungs appear to do a pretty good job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.