AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two places I could put a regular subwoofer in my small living room: 3 feet away or 5 feet away from the TV. Is this sufficient?

Do they make magnetically shielded subwoofers? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maurice; It doesn't matter. You see, bass frequencies (below 100 hz), are non-directional. You can place it anywhere in your room that you see fit. I'm not sure about shielding in Subwoofers, but I would say that if you are placing it 3 feet away from your TV, you will have no problem.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I can't put my Sunfire True Sub within 4' of my TV or it distorts the picture. It is dependant on the subwoofer and television. My RCA F38310 is rather sensitive to magnetic fields, though.

Sorny

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
Maurice; It doesn't matter. You see, bass frequencies (below 100 hz), are non-directional. You can place it anywhere in your room that you see fit.
It does matter. The placement of the subwoofer will excite various room modes, resulting in large peaks and dips in the frequency response. The goal is to place the sub where these peaks and dips are minimized. If you have a parametric EQ, corner placement may be ideal. It will typically result in three large peaks (which can easily be tamed via the EQ) but has the advantage of more perceived output at the listening position. Arbitrary placement of the subwoofer could cause a dip at the listening position (not a good result).

As far as the magnetic field issue, put it in each position and judge for yourself (the picture will have obvious problems).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.