AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how to set up my home theater risers/seats, and I want advice on how far back to put the main/best chair.

I was thinking 1.6x screen widths back (16 feet), but after reading, I have some concern about seeing pixels (i.e., "fill factor") with DLP. Essentially, I like sitting close, but not if I'm going to see a lot of pixels!!

I know this is a trade-off that's pure opinion, and will vary from person to person, but I'm looking for opinions!

For some more details:

- room is 31' L x 16' W x 9' H

- light will be controlled

- PJ will (probably) be Runco VX-5000ci or new Panosonic three chipper

- screen will be 16x9 Firehawk or Greyhawk

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
You probably won't see pixels at 1.5x distance or more. I can't, and start seeing them at 1.0x. But, if you're rainbow prone (or have a guest who is), sitting at 2x distance or more seems to help, as the eye does not need to move as much, reducing the chance of seeing rainbows.

Of course, a grey screen like the Firehawk helps a lot too! I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Max is right.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
You probably won't see pixels at 1.5x distance or more.
Probably being the key word, but I would not count on it with DLP (as opppsed to a DILA, where pixels are harder to see). A visit to a showroom should help you to know how far back you need to be.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
There are people that swear they see pixels at 25x screen width. The quoted rule of thumb is 1.5x, but in practice most forum members do about 1.2x or 1.3x. But you will only know what is right for you by seeing for yourself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx
There are people that swear they see pixels at 25x screen width. The quoted rule of thumb is 1.5x, but in practice most forum members do about 1.2x or 1.3x. But you will only know what is right for you by seeing for yourself.
Thanks, though I believe (and hope and pray) you meant 2.5x...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The 25x was a bit sarcastic, but there are CRT people who will never accept digital projectors as a real alternative.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx
The 25x was a bit sarcastic, but there are CRT people who will never accept digital projectors as a real alternative.
Damn, I usually pride myself on my sarcasm meter. My night is ruined :).

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I have seating at almost 2x screen width and I have been seeing rainbows for the last two days. Mostly because the movies I have been watching are dark movies like Blade 2. Man I wish I had not read about rainbows, then maybe I wouldn't notice them as much. I can barely make out pixels in my front row at 1.3x screen width.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
I have seating at almost 2x screen width and I have been seeing rainbows for the last two days. Mostly because the movies I have been watching are dark movies like Blade 2. Man I wish I had not read about rainbows, then maybe I wouldn't notice them as much. I can barely make out pixels in my front row at 1.3x screen width.
What PJ you using? What screen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
DWIN TV3 with a Stewart Studiotek 130.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I agree with QQQ. Go see for yourself how your perception is at different distances.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
DWIN TV3 with a Stewart Studiotek 130.
Damn, I was hoping you were using crap, as that could explain your rainbows, but your system is pretty great...

More to worry about. Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
thegratingone,

If it's any consolation, I almost never see rainbows, and I've seen almost all the new high end HD2 DLP's. It's an absolute non-issue for myself and my family, and I currently have an HD1 PJ (Infocus SP110).

Also,

I have a 9.6 foot screen (133" diag), my first row of seats are 17 feet back from the screen and the picture is clean and sharp. My second row is approx. 24 feet from the screen. Originally I preferred the back row, but now prefer sitting in the front row, it sucks you right into the movie.

When I walk up to the front of the HT I begin to see the screen door around the 10 to 12 foot mark. IMO, 16 feet will be ok for you.

Good luck, looks like you're going to have a first class setup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.