AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a 6000 reciever, but I wasn't even going to worry about the module for OTA as I live over 100 miles from St. Louis, the nearest DTV source. Am I thinking right? I do live on a hilltop and have a good tall antenna setup now, but I have no idea if it's even possible to recieve at this distance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Some folks in southern California are reporting reception of San Diego stations over 100 miles away, and Los Angeles stations from San Diego.

It depends on the path you have to the transmitter site. 100 miles is really a stretch, but if you can get the signals to 20 dB carrier-to-noise then you will receive them.

Some folks have experimented with high-gain dishes to make this work. You may just want to concentrate on the Dish programming.

KC

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm in San Diego, north inland, about 10 miles northeast of La Jolla. I can get two stations from LA, NBC and KTLA, and sometimes CBS and I'm only using the Radio Shack double bowtie antenna, which is sitting on top of my receiver. I can also get three San Diego stations from Mt. Soledad, 10 miles away and which is literally line of sight from my house (I can see the blinking lights on the broadcast towers at night). But I can't get the San Diego NBC station, which is about 17 miles away, closer to the Mexican border. I understand that KNSD (NBC) has lowered their power due to their proximity to Mexico.

It all depends on terrain and the strength of the broadcast signal.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The general rule of thumb for conventional antenna heights (30' or less) is about 60 miles. This is due to the curvature of the earth.

Longer distances usually depend on unusual conditions, known as tropospheric ducting or DX-ing.

There are always exceptions to these generalities, some report getting stations from much further away on a regular basis.

Here are a two web sites with details:
http://pages.cthome.net/fmdx/mailroom.html#O
http://www.iprimus.ca/~hepburnw/tropo.html

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
See also
http://www.titantv.com

This site has generates maps that show you, for a given address, the direction and strength of channels that you can receive. I have heard it works pretty well.

[This message has been edited by rlsmith (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
630 Posts
The last few nights, I have been receiving all 4 four Raleigh, NC stations from Florence SC . I am 124 miles from the broadcast towers. WRAL was 95-99% last night. I am amazed. I doubt that this would represent reliable daily reception, but it might be worth the $100 module for some fun from time to time.

Scott

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might also want to keep in mind that many digital stations are not broadcasting at 100% power yet. If you buy the module now and don't have any luck, you should check with the stations to see when they will go full-power. It might be worth another try at a later time.

------------------

We ALL deserve equal access to justice. http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/t_evansen

[This message has been edited by tevansen (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you can receive good quality NTSC from St. Louis right now with your existing antenna, chances are you can receive the digital station as well.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with Bob, with one qualification: once the digital stations are at full power, you should be able to receive them if you currently receive the NTSC stations.

------------------

We ALL deserve equal access to justice.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/t_evansen

·
Registered
801 Posts
Another thing to consider.

Transmitting antennas are at a height of around 1500' in most cases. They will provide enough signal to an antenna 30' in height at a range of about 50 miles.

If you are at a height of around 1500', and there are no obstructions between you and the tower, you can assume you can get another 50 miles out of it if you have enough antenna gain to make up for the additional path loss.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rick, I am located in the city of Columbia, approx. 125 miles out of St.Louis and 126 miles out of Kansas City. I have watched KTVI-DT(43),KSDK-DT(35),KDNL-DT(31), and KCPT-DT(18). I use a pair of Cushcraft UHF low yagis with a CM preamp located 73' above ground level, with Belden RG-6 feedline. I use an RCA DTC-100. The atmospherics have to be good to pull anything from St. Louis at this distance with this setup. KTVI is at full power as far as I know, KSDK is at 1/2 power, and KDNL is operating at 1/5 of the licensed 1 megawatt ERP. The Kansas City PBS station is at 48 kilowatts average ERP, and due to my choice of antenna, is favored among the stations I pull. I am upgrading to the Channel Master 4251, which I have screened with 1/4" hardware cloth to improve gain and front to back ratio. It will also help me receive the higher frequencies that the St. Louis stations are transmitting on. I tell you this because after all the headaches of erecting the tower, buying the OTA receiver, troubleshooting a pesky operating system on the DTC-100, and locating a discontinued antenna, the picture and sound (Dolby 5.1 on Japan's Secret Garden) would make me do it again, even for intermittent reception.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All right! Thanks everyone for your input. I especially appreciate ChrisKMIZ17 as his situation is very similar to mine. My tower is not that tall, but I like to play with stuff like that and maybe I will get the module, like Scott Burns said, just for fun. I called the closest station (it's almost 100 miles)in Cape Girardeau, and they said they will start broadcasting with partial power in May 2002. They do not expect their signal to get this far even under full power. The tech sounded really depressed. He quoted some crazy numbers about lack of an audience, he said Cleveland has 14 total viewers for their DTV and the St. Louis stations only have 17 viewers. I have nothing in my hands to argue with him, but I think they are looking for an excuse. I think there are more HD viewers on this forum from St. L. than that!

Incredible!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.