AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a couple RCA jacks to a wall not far from my theater room so I can plug in a CD player and feed it to an amp in the theater (which drives some in-ceiling speakers near where I'm adding the jack). The cable length from the new jack to the amp is about 35'. Is that a short enough run to just hook the terminals up to a Cat5 cable? I know for hundreds-of-feet runs a balanced driver like the Audiocontrol BLD-10 is required, but I'm hoping my run is short enough to save me the added expense and the complication of embedding one of those in my wall and powering it there.

What about using two pairs in the Cat5 cable per audio channel -- that is, say, attaching both the blue and green wires to one terminal on the back of a single RCA jack, and the blue/white and green/white wires to the other terminal? That seems like it'd effectively double the wire thickness, but maybe that'd make no difference.

If need be I can run two 14AWG twisted-pair speaker wires or even two RG6 cables to the jack, but that's more expensive and I'd rather use Cat5 if I can.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you use the Orange and Green Pairs, you can can go several hundred feet without any problems.

The Orange and the Green pairs have the same twist ratio.

Brent McCall

Tsunami HT

(800) 221-0932 #230

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.