AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my arrangement of furniture and such, my left rear surround can go anywhere from 3' to 5' back on the wall, from seating, and at any height up to the ceiling so that isn't a problem.

The closest wall on the right side is across the room which will place it 9'-15' feet from the listening area and being a wall, I can obviously mount the speaker at any height. Is this distance too far to sound decent? The other option on the right speaker is to move it closer but it will have to mount on the ceiling and then I would obviously articulate it towards the seating area?

The rear surrounds will be Polk Owm3's when they get here, and powered by a Denon 1910 receiver.

Thanks for any help on the matter.

If it wasn't for this forum I would be stuck with a HTIB and I wouldn't be in line for my A2-300 to be built.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
As long as you can get the spl level properly boosted to make all of the speakers play at the same spl level you'll be fine... although at 15' you'll need more power or some relatively sensitive speakers if you listen at loud levels. You should still try and maintain proper placement which is like 90 deg out to the sides and up the 10 back (I think)... just search THX or dobly setup to be sure.

You'll also have to setup your delays to adjust for the distance... if your AVR as an auto Cal. it should do all of this.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18202163

As long as you can get the spl level properly boosted to make all of the speakers play at the same spl level you'll be fine... although at 15' you'll need more power or some relatively sensitive speakers if you listen at loud levels. You should still try and maintain proper placement which is like 90 deg out to the sides and up the 10 back (I think)... just search THX or dobly setup to be sure.

Even something labeled 'THX' is likely NOT delivering the SPL it claims. How can dual 5.25's in a small sealed enclosure deliver the same output as fronts with larger drivers, cabinets and waveguides/horns? I get suspcious that if you don't have MATCHING sized drivers (as well as the number of drivers) and matching sized enclosures, you are going to get not only 'different' sound but also, less output in the lower mids and upper bass region.

In answer to the OP's question. In my experience, the further away the speaker is, the larger the bass-driver/cabinet should be as well as more efficient (higher SPL Sensitivity rating). Also, for a 15 feet distance, I don't think bipole or dipole will be needed. For a room this large, Klipsch speakers might be a good choice. I would recommend an 8" bass driver minimum at a 15-feet distance to get that nice depth of sound people usually want from home theater speakers. Hell, in my speaker search thread somebody posted some wall-mountable JBL speakers that would fit this application perfectly.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/368395.html

If your room is seriously that big that your surround speaker is 15-feet from your listening position, then this is the MINIMUM size speaker I would personally use for that application. If a 10" woofer model were available, I might see using that for even better sound quality in the upper bass/lower midrange region of sound. With a room this big, 7.1 surround should actually improve things over 5.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts