AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the DLP/LCD crowd has to keep viewing distances in mind when they set up a home theater...but how close to the screen do you CRT folks sit? I've got a 14' by 14' basement room (low ceilings at 7') that I want to use. Enough room?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I sit 10' from an 8' wide screen. At the resolution I run, no scan lines. I had an XGA DLP with anamorphic lens and I was distracted by screen door on anything closer than 1.6 times screen width.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
For a 92" wide 16/9 screen I sit 15 feet away.

Closer causes a slight discomfort with too much motion. You get used to it ,but prefer further back.

David

·
Registered
594 Posts
Right under the lenses are perfect viewing distance for most CRTs with high resolution HTPC (Scalers).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That looks like a penis size chart to me.

6' wide screen, 6' viewing distance.

·
Registered
609 Posts
1.5 screen widths for me. 96" wide screen

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I sit 3 or 4 feet behind my projector's lenses, which are 10' from the screen.

- David

·
Registered
448 Posts
I sit 10 feet form an 8 foot wide screen, but my kids sit two feet from the screen. my three year old son says, the 6 foot tall telletubies freak him out.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dav99
my three year old son says, the 6 foot tall telletubies freak him out.
ANY size teletubies freak me out!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
11' from a 96" wide screen here, works well for me and my room layout, thats the first row where I usually sit. If we don't have guests thats where I sit for DVD's, for Laser disks I sit on the back row, which would be about, 17'

- Rick

·
Registered
473 Posts
It really is the screen distance:width ration that is important rather than absolute distance.

I sit at 2:1 but that is due to the coffee table mount I use, else I'd sit at 1.5:1

I like Guy's ratios for comparison

1.675:1 for his XG

2:31 for his HT1000

This is consistent with my observations with my friend's HT1000 where at 2.5:1 it looks excellent and at 2:1 the screen door leaps out at you.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Kuo

134 inches from 58 inch wide screen with the NEC Ht1000 (closer makes for visible screen door)
Quote:
Originally posted by kaanage

I like Guy's ratios

2:31 for his HT1000

at 2:1 the screen door leaps out at you.
By golly I knew there must be some advantage to my getting old and my eyesight deteriorating. :)

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
It seems everyone has a different preference. I used to sit 2.0 back. Since moving I sit 1.5 back. While I don't see scan lines at 1.5, that distance involves too much eye movement for my taste. I'm hoping that once I get my room sorted out, I'll be able to move back to 1.75. Wish I could go 2.0 but I don't have enough room.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'm 11' back from 8' wide 16:9 screen. Not sure where that puts me on the penis chart there.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
11' from an 87x49" screen (1.5 widths/2.7 heights) for most DVDs and 4:3 sources (2.0 widths/2.7 heights). This is a good compromise which makes some source flaws visible but leaves scope movies only a little small and DBS/VHS/mediocre DVDs only a little big.

9' for nice scope DVDs (1.24 widths, 2.9 heights). This is preferable on sharp high-bit rate transfers.

1.5 widths exceeds the THX subtended field of vision recomendation for the farthest seat in a a movie theater by just 1%.

There are no visible projection artifacts in either case, and DVD transfer problems are visible but not objectionable out to 11'.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.