AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious what you folks (CI) use as a rule of thumb for distance on wiring?

My issue is i finished a home two years ago which i have two cav6.6 and a r1250mc. Eleven of the 12 zones are used - the 12th will be the backyard pool house pool area. From the media closet to the pool house it is 240 feet. From the pool house to the lower patio is another 60 feet (2 speakers), from the pool house to the water feature another 40 feet (2 speakers), from the pool house to the side bbq 20 feet (2 speakers). Then two more pairs of speakers in the covered porch of the pool house.

ISSUE - How far is too far on 14 guage wire? Am i out of my mind to even attempt 300 ft on this wiring? Can i double up 14g wire to make it work? SHould i just tell the man to get another amp and run a bunch of cat5e from the cav system in the house to the pool room and install the amp there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
From what I've read 14awg shouldn't be used after 100 or 200 ft (opinions always vary), so it seems 300 feet is out of the question. You might want to use 12awg or even 10awg. If you have extra 14awg laying around, do a test and listen for yourself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i suppose you are rigt i could just hook up a pair of speakers on one end of a 500ft spool and see what comes of it. I am nervous. I just cant find 10/4 speaker wire and for that matter i need some of it to be direct burial. What to do

Thanks

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Certainly you could double up the 14 gauge wire which would double the range. For the direct burial you could use standard 12 gauge electrical cable. 12-3 romex type cable with a ground wire will give you 4 wires for two speakers.

The worst that happens if the wire has too high a resistance is reduced volume, of course, and perhaps poorer clarity due to reduced speaker damping. The speaker may start to sound somewhat "muddy".

·
Registered
374 Posts
Two 14 AWG wires have about the same cross-sectional area as a single 11 AWG wire

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crutschow have you used electrical wiring yourself? Result seems ok i am assuming if you suggest it now?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincondor /forum/post/15565887

crutschow have you used electrical wiring yourself? Result seems ok i am assuming if you suggest it now?

No I haven't used romex, but I've use much standard zip electrical cord. There are no special requirements for speaker wire other than resistance (unless you believe the audio fanatics who require special low capacitance, oxygen free copper, etc. cables for pristine sound). So just about any copper wire of the proper size will work for speakers, including romex electrical cable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well that is good to know. i may buy a role of romex and give it a go. I will post what happens when i get around to it.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts