AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a 60'' Samsung 8500 TV and a couple of days ago, I decided to watch the classic horror movie I Know What You Did Last Summer on DVD. I normally sit 9 feet from the screen, but since the movie has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, I sat at a distance of 8 feet to offset the letterboxing. 8 feet also happens to be the optimal viewing distance for a 60'' TV according to several websites.

I couldn't enjoy the movie because it had a ridiculously high amount of dithering. Especially the dark scenes, which were a sparkly mess. So much for plasma TVs having superior blacks! Maybe it's because I was watching a fairly old movie on standard definition. Maybe it's because I watched it in 16:9 mode, instead of Screen Fit, although I can't imagine how zooming in slightly on an already upscaled image could've made much of a difference. Maybe the dark scenes were meant to be foggy, and dithering is the only way that plasma TVs can show dark grey fog.

But that's not my point. My point is that if I was sitting at the optimal viewing distance, I shouldn't have seen any dithering at all. There are many TV viewing distance calculators and tables on the internet, but none of them take into account that plasma TVs have more dithering than LEDs and therefore may need to be viewed from further back.

So I'll ask you guys for advice.

How far do you sit from your plasma TV and what size TV do you have?

Do you vary your sitting distance depending on the aspect ratio or resolution of the movie you're watching, or do you always sit at the same distance?

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
8.5 feet from a 65" don't notice dithering at all don't vary the distance, sparkling in near black is usually and indication of brightness being set too high.

Reactions: StinDaWg

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is not dithering that causes that, Samsung plasmas have a big gap between "black/off" and the next "step", all the shades in between are modulated between those two states. If the emission between black and the gray is too far apart it can start to look look like a creeping moss around shadows, when most of the pixels are in the off state the ones that are on will appear as sparkles. Finding nemo is a great acid test for plasmas to see how they handle the graduation of color, nothing beats the old tube but panasonic and lg do well at beating the sparklies. If you are forcing yourself to sit further back well what is the point of such a large set? time to rethink or resize imo, I am happy viewing at 5-6 feet with 50".

·
Registered
20,612 Posts
Crap in crap out. I think you may have been setting your hopes too high for watching a DVD. You will see a noticeable difference in pic quality between DVD, HDTV and Blu-Ray. You also didn't mention your settings which could have had an impact on image quality. Did you have or did you calibrate your TV with a meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
my 64" is in my theatre room that's set up for a 120" projection screen, so I'm still about 12-14' back in the front row(depending if i reclined or not), but I've sat closer and i need to be within about 3feet before dithering is noticeable.

i would agree with the above, crap in = crap out. 8ft is the recommended distance for a 1080p 60" image, not a 480p 60" image. upscaling can only do so much

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te  /t/1526695/how-far-do-you-sit-from-your-plasma-tv#post_24591836

Crap in crap out. I think you may have been setting your hopes too high for watching a DVD. You will see a noticeable difference in pic quality between DVD, HDTV and Blu-Ray. You also didn't mention your settings which could have had an impact on image quality. Did you have or did you calibrate your TV with a meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Picture Mode is set to "Movie". After I watched the movie, I bought a Disney WOW disc and tried to calibrate my TV, but this did not result in any significant changes to the settings. Brightness was increased from 45 to 47 and contrast was increased from 95 to 100, but that's about it. I don't know what sort of meter you're talking about.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker  /t/1526695/how-far-do-you-sit-from-your-plasma-tv#post_24591339

How far do you sit from your plasma TV and what size TV do you have?

I sit 6 inches from my 43 inch Samsung...

It's almost like being in a big movie theater...

and when I cross my eyes...

It's almost like being in an IMAX...

and when I close my eyes...

I fall asleep...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts