AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying the L500 when it comes out. With a ceiling mount how far of a drop does the center of the lens need to be from the top of the screen if the screen has a 1" border? The screen size would be 106" diag (52x92).

Thanks

Legairre

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Typically the lens should be the same height as the top of your screen. if you put your projector higher it will have to tilt down and that's where you'll get keystone distortion where the top of the picture is narrower than the bottom. You can correct this within your projector menu, however I can see the grey light on the side were I've corrected it so I prefer the projector at the same height as the top of my screen.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
For a ceiling mounted PT-L300U the lens center needs to be slightly lower than the top of the screen (the formula is screenwidth divided by 32 -- for your screen this means 3 inches lower than the top of the screen). I do not know if anyone has specs on image offset yet for the PT-L500U. If not aligned this way you can always use keystone correction, but this will degrade the image quality somewhat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On further examination I just realized that my ceiling is a dropped ceiling with the ceiling mount going up through the ceiling and is mounted on the bottom of the floor above, and the screen starts 4" below the dropped ceiling so my measurments are actually, lense 12" below ceiling and screen 4" below ceiling.

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like the mount is a little low. According to BMAG's and your numbers your lens should be 8" (=screen 4" below ceiling + 1" screen border + 3" for the lens below top of screen) below ceiling.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys thanks for all the replys. I'd like to keep the projector as high as possible(7ft 4 inch ceiling), because the projector will be right above my first row of seating and I'd like to keep it way out of the view of my second row(8 inch riser). So it sounds like the best I can get away with is 4 inches below the top of the screen.

I've heard the Sanyo Z2 has the lens shift. Would this allow me to mount the projector right at ceiling level and use the lens shift to angle the image vertically? My screen will me 8 or 9 inches below the ceiling?

Thanks

Legairre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.