AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that 3D has started showing up a little more at CES, how far off (time-wise) do you guys think we are from having a fairly standardized, legitimate implementation of Full HD-3D capabilities with front projectors?

I'm getting the upgrade itch and the Optoma HD8200 looks like a pretty strong contender, but if 3D will be added to some models by late this year or early next year I may hold off a little while longer.

But if it won't be until middle to late next year and the whole thing is another format competition mess that drags out for two to three years with very limited content, I'll probably just go ahead and upgrade soon.

What are your thoughts? Any inside info/ insight?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
3D is capable now. It's not the projector, its the content.

There's not gonna be some 3D breakthrough in the next year that everyone will start making movies 3D.

If you want real 3D try turning off the TV

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that 3D capabilities are available now, but from the reports I've read about CES this year there are some different ways of implementing it that are not compatible with each other. Some require glasses and some don't... some use polarization and some use a shutter-based implementation .... that kind of thing.

I'm not sure I understand your point of "There's not gonna be some 3D breakthrough in the next year that everyone will start making movies 3D." The breakthrough is already here as far as being able to create 3D films (and many studios are already on board and in production with a handful of 3D movies), I'm just curious when I can watch these types of movies in my home theater (without using the red/blue or red/green cardboard glasses implementation).

I'm guessing from your comments, Tryg, that you're not a fan of 3D movies?

... 3D sports???? 3D games????

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Tryg is just a smart ass. (no offense) 80% of his posts are less then one sentence long.

As for 3D. Hollywood is behind 3D again and more and more directors are expected to shoot their big budget movies in 3D in the coming years. I too am waiting for 3D in the home, but it seems that it's not gonna happen soon for Projectors. DLP has the best chance of getting a 3D FP out as they have released Rear Projo with 3D capabilities. To get 3D you need a projector that can accept a 120hz signal (not like most current LCD 120hz projo that only accept a 60hz signal)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Personally I hope 3D doesn't happen. I've seen it at the IMAX and don't like it. Some here don't like frame interpolation because it doesn't look film-like, well 3D with the glasses looks anything but film-like. It looks very much like a gimmick with everything coming off the screen at you with no real density to those images. FI has depth that goes back into the screen like looking through a window giving a 3D appearance that, IMO, closer mimics reality.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If. I read correctly jvc will come out with a r2 with 3d capibilty by the company that invented it.There are also new hdmi standards for 3d ,internet,different size etc. By 2010 all animation movies will be 3d and some movies are going that route. I saw a movie with the new 3d glasses and it was much better then what we are use to. More like you are part of the movie vs things being thrown at you.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7 /forum/post/15561871

The link is not working for me.

Well, how about doing the search yourself? Not trying to be snippy, but you can easily go to advance search, type in 3D and click on the title search only option (make sure to highlight this forum for the list to the right) and get the same results that I linked. That is if you are really interested in what the other threads have provided for information.

Again, not trying to be snippy, but your comment about the link not working and ignoring the description of how I got the information for you...comes across like you are expecting to be spoon fed. I'm not saying that's your intention, but that's how it comes across.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/15561271

Tryg is just a smart ass. (no offense) 80% of his posts are less then one sentence long.

As for 3D. Hollywood is behind 3D again and more and more directors are expected to shoot their big budget movies in 3D in the coming years. I too am waiting for 3D in the home, but it seems that it's not gonna happen soon for Projectors. DLP has the best chance of getting a 3D FP out as they have released Rear Projo with 3D capabilities. To get 3D you need a projector that can accept a 120hz signal (not like most current LCD 120hz projo that only accept a 60hz signal)

No no no. Its a total gimmick and will die a death in a couple of years and live mainly in your Imax as it has done in the past. Most people in the film industry regard it as a white elephant ( the same as it always is when it comes around again every 20 years).

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 /forum/post/15561271

80% of his posts are less then one sentence long.

Less than a sentence long?

Well, 100% of the posts in this thread are full sentences.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/15562322

Well, how about doing the search yourself? Not trying to be snippy, but you can easily go to advance search, type in 3D and click on the title search only option (make sure to highlight this forum for the list to the right) and get the same results that I linked. That is if you are really interested in what the other threads have provided for information.

Again, not trying to be snippy, but your comment about the link not working and ignoring the description of how I got the information for you...comes across like you are expecting to be spoon fed. I'm not saying that's your intention, but that's how it comes across.

I wasn't trying to be spoon fed, I just thought maybe your link would produce different search results I hadn't thought of. It didn't even work, so I couldn't tell. I had looked for threads covering 3D before starting this one. There weren't dozens and the ones that are there mostly talk about using Sensio or using two projectors or they referred to current projectors with '3D pop'.

I was looking to get some feedback mostly on where 3D front projection is headed based off of what people were hearing and seeing at CES this year.

3D did have a presence there, and while I respect people's rights to crap on the idea of having it in their home, some people do want to see it come to the market..... and not just for movie releases (although I'm one of those people who find the 3D presentations of movies like the Polar Express to really help add to the experience).

The NFL, NBA, and NCAA are experimenting with broadcasting sports in 3D. I'd like to see that in my home. Sony is looking into adding 3D capabilities to the PS3. I'd like to try that out too. If anybody has any insight into where the market is going with this or even some theories about how they see this playing out with regards to competing implementations, please add to this thread..... if 'rboster' doesn't close it first.

·
Registered
469 Posts
All movies are 3D.

There are many cues in movies and video that allow the human brain to perceive the content as 3D. Binocular parallax is only one of these cues and not a particularly important one.

3D is a technique for getting theater seats filled.

In the fifties 3D movies like Bwana Devil were a response to TV. Director's Cameron, Lucas, and Speilberg speak of 3D today in much the same fashion. 3D for HT may never materialize because so many influential Hollywood leaders only think of it as a means of attacking HT.

3D is gimicky

You don't need 3D to tell a story. In the fifties The House of Wax had a Yo-Yo sequence. The recent Journey to the Center of the Earth has a Yo-Yo sequence. Need I say more.

DLP is dying for HT

DLP is prospering in pico projectors but seems to be failing for HT. One advantage that DLP has is speed - speed needed for 3D. LCD and LCoS may never be fast enough for 3D.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7 /forum/post/15562814

I wasn't trying to be spoon fed, I just thought maybe your link would produce different search results I hadn't thought of. It didn't even work, so I couldn't tell. I had looked for threads covering 3D before starting this one. There weren't dozens and the ones that are there mostly talk about using Sensio or using two projectors or they referred to current projectors with '3D pop'.

I was looking to get some feedback mostly on where 3D front projection is headed based off of what people were hearing and seeing at CES this year.

3D did have a presence there, and while I respect people's rights to crap on the idea of having it in their home, some people do want to see it come to the market..... and not just for movie releases (although I'm one of those people who find the 3D presentations of movies like the Polar Express to really help add to the experience).

The NFL, NBA, and NCAA are experimenting with broadcasting sports in 3D. I'd like to see that in my home. Sony is looking into adding 3D capabilities to the PS3. I'd like to try that out too. If anybody has any insight into where the market is going with this or even some theories about how they see this playing out with regards to competing implementations, please add to this thread..... if 'rboster' doesn't close it first.

I've been doing a lot of research on 3D projection ever since I purchased a IZ3D monitor.

For projection 3D to work with dual projectors you need polarized lens on each projector. Could be as simple as just buying cheap plastic lens online for them but the really good ones are expensive. They also darken the picture significantly. It's recommended to have a silver screen for the image to keep the polarization of the 3D as well. With shutter glasses, I'm going to say you won't need one but not positive.

For shutter glasses to work you need a 120hz pj which I noticed viewsonic is releasing. Unfortunately it's not a home theater projector but more oriented towards businesses I suppose.

I saw a article on engadget from ces that the playstation 3 will be getting 3D capability this year. I'm curious if they will be renting 3D blockbuster on their network. Most likely will work off shutter glasses since it only needs one output.

I personally don't think 3D is gimmicky if done right. Example Beowulf and Bolt were excellent in 3D. The end with the dragon was simply amazing in 3D! Journey to the center of the earth on the other hand was carried souly on 3D alone which was very gimmicky so it sucked. I can see animated movies sticking to 3D but live action getting canned. I guess I'll have to wait and see when Avator comes out

FYI I saw them in a RealD theater.

·
Registered
29,416 Posts
Here's a pretty good interview between Roger Ebert and Jeffrey Katzenberg about the 3-D release of 'Monsters vs. Aliens':

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...OPLE/812169997

Katzenberg spells out his philosophy that 3-D should only be used to add depth to an image, not to intrude past the proscenium of the screen with gimmicky effects hovering over the audience.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/15570769

Here's a pretty good interview between Roger Ebert and Jeffrey Katzenberg about the 3-D release of 'Monsters vs. Aliens':

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...OPLE/812169997

Katzenberg spells out his philosophy that 3-D should only be used to add depth to an image, not to intrude past the proscenium of the screen with gimmicky effects hovering over the audience.

I think I'd be ok with the effect mostly adding depth and dimension that appears to go back into the screen rather than come out from it.

It would almost give you the sense that you're watching a live, high quality production or play in your own home.

I'm curious why some people are so turned off by this. Do these same people not enjoy surround sound? Is that not added to further immerse you in the experience and give you that 'you are there' feeling? Isn't it in some ways 'gimmicky' also?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Does anybody remember Tom Cruise in Minority Report..

He has viewed videos of his family in real 3D with a device he had placed on his floor ... if i remember correctly...

Does this tech exists ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know I'm a newbie here but this is a topic I'm really interested in and I wanted to respond.

So far noone has noted some really big game changers that are recent. First, directors are definitely not treating this as a niche fad... Dreamworks just announced that all of their feature films will be 3d from now on. Remember the partnership with intel announced last year? Well things are panning out.

Second, CES this year was full of 3d demos and Disney is definitely behind it too. That's why they are rereleasing their films in 3d and all new pixars will debut in 3d.

Sony is trying to remain tight-lipped but they have a new playstation 3 demo unit that supports 3d frombluray and articles are saying that they really want it to work out bad because it will finally show the bluray value like only bluray can do (fitting two streams of the same film on a disc).

Both sony and Samsung demonstrated screens that were 3d and 240hz... perfect for two 120hz streams using the active 3d.

Its coming. This year. I read one interview where a samsung rep was candid that the panel market growth won't be able to expand as fast and the best way to keep purchase momentum would be to give reason to upgrade like 3d.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.