AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The projector manual gives a range based off the screen size, but being new to this I don't know what's best. From what I've read, the closer the brighter, the further the more contrast.

Is there some rule of thumb "sweet spot"? Seems like kind of a permanent decision. Sure you could move it, but then you'd have to repair the ceiling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,565 Posts
Seating location in the room will also play a factor, as well as overall room design. We need more information to be helpful, Also if you are planning on using an add on lens for CIH 2.35:1 screen format.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on doing CIH. I wasn't asking for an exact number per say. I am going to be mounting a Sony HW30 to the ceiling. From the manual I think it says I should mount it anywhere between 11 and 17 feet, or something similar. But I just want to know if I should mount it in the middle of that range, closer to the 11 feet, closer to the 17 feet? I was just going to pretty much mount it half way between the two distances if I couldn't figure out where in the range is the best compromise between brightness and contrast.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
OK, so no CIH, which means no anamorphic lens, so that's out of the equation. It would still help to know screen size and gain - for example (ballpark estimates, and assuming 1 - 1.3 screen gain)
if 100" or less, you could mount toward the farther end of the range, to maximize contrast; if going very big, say 130", you'll want to mount at the closer end of the range to maximize light output; if you're somewhere in the middle, you can mount in the middle of the throw range for your selected screen size.

You can get a more accurate reading by estimating foot lamberts for your screen size - and then see whether you have a surplus or deficit that you like to assist via mount placement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.