AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to use a 9' diagonal 16x9 screen (so just under 8 feet in width). I plan on placing the first row about 12 feet back (THX recommended distance).

My question is, how far to the right/left is reasonable for one to sit (i.e., how wide can the seating rows be?)?

I had planed on the seating rows being about 12 feet wide. That's 4 feet more than the screen, so the end of each row would be about 2 feet past the screen to the right/left. As the person sits in the center of the seat, that would mean the viewer would be (probably) about 1 foot to the right/left of the screen (maybe 1.5 feet past as the screen is a drop under 8 feet). Does that seem o.k.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Which screen/material will you be using? There are varying viewing angles among the screen materials available.

Viewing angles for the different screen materials are available from the respective manufacturers' websites:

www.stewartfilm.com
www.dalite.com
www.draperinc.com

If you'll be going the DIY route you'll have to get the opinions of others who have used a similar material as you obviously won't find any published specs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chs4
Which screen/material will you be using? There are varying viewing angles among the screen materials available.

Viewing angles for the different screen materials are available from the respective manufacturers' websites:

www.stewartfilm.com
www.dalite.com
www.draperinc.com

If you'll be going the DIY route you'll have to get the opinions of others who have used a similar material as you obviously won't find any published specs.
Good advice.

I plan on using Firehawk, which Stewart says has a 100 degree viewing angle (which I know is tighter than some other materials). However, at the widest my angle will be about 65 degree (drawing lines from the center of my screen to the ends of the first row, which is 12.1 feet back and about 12 feet wide).

What do people think?

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.