AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is different depending on the projector (or is it?), but what is typical of UHP bulbs in reguards to brightness loss? Is it say 10% every 100 hours and it plateaus once it gets to a 50% loss approx and then stays at this point for the remainder of the projector lamp life?

· Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/0

I am sure this is different depending on the projector (or is it?), but what is typical of UHP bulbs in reguards to brightness loss? Is it say 10% every 100 hours and it plateaus once it gets to a 50% loss approx and then stays at this point for the remainder of the projector lamp life?

Based on all of my reading around here, there is a very sharp drop-off in the first 200 hours of bulb use. This initial plummet will be somewhere between 30% and 50% of its brightness. Most of the actual measurements I've seen posted have been closer to 30% than 50%.

After the initial burn, it continues to drop at a much lower rate until the end of the bulb's life.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
Here is a graph of danielo's data with a logarithmic trend line

· Registered
17,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I was expecting it to be worse for some reason. According to the chart, by the time you get to about 500 hours, you have lost approx 1/3 of your lamp light which I figured it would have lost 50% by this point.

· Registered
2,258 Posts
But that Optoma projector seemed to be particularly bad at burning out bulbs. Some pretty long threads on the issue. I highly doubt the H7X series can be used as any gauge for projectors in general.

· Registered
17,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS /forum/post/0

But that Optoma projector seemed to be particularly bad at burning out bulbs. Some pretty long threads on the issue. I highly doubt the H7X series can be used as any gauge for projectors in general.

I actually thought about that when I saw the graph......hmmmm

Maybe a typical UHP bulb projector would be a little slower?

· Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:

I actually thought about that when I saw the graph......hmmmm

Maybe a typical UHP bulb projector would be a little slower?

Tryg had a very nice thread dealing with the Ruby and its various brightnesses before and after bulb break-in at various throws. The thread must have been archived because my link to it is broken now. You might be able to find it though.

I believe the assumption regarding the Ruby is that it lost 30% of its brightness in the first couple of hundred hours. There were some metrics posted, if I recall.

Ruby was Xenon. Not sure if that helps.

· Registered
17,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/0

Tryg had a very nice thread dealing with the Ruby and its various brightnesses before and after bulb break-in at various throws. The thread must have been archived because my link to it is broken now. You might be able to find it though.

I believe the assumption regarding the Ruby is that it lost 30% of its brightness in the first couple of hundred hours. There were some metrics posted, if I recall.

Ruby was Xenon. Not sure if that helps.

Thanks Gremmy. Isnt the Ruby and its Xenon bulb notorious for loosing lumens quicker than UHP bulb projectors?

· Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:

Thanks Gremmy. Isnt the Ruby and its Xenon bulb notorious for loosing lumens quicker than UHP bulb projectors?

As I recall, there was some debate about that. It was pointed out that all bulbs will deteriorate in a somewhat similar fashion, with the steepest part of the curve up front. What I'm not sure about is the relationship between Xenon and UHP decay.

· Registered
13,057 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. I was expecting it to be worse for some reason. According to the chart, by the time you get to about 500 hours, you have lost approx 1/3 of your lamp light which I figured it would have lost 50% by this point.

Yes I was looking at that. I'd consider losing just 30% after 500 hours quite excellent really. With the Ruby I figure I lost well over 50% after the first 500 hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.