AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building 2 new computers that I need to boot as fast as possible. One is an HTPC. The other will be permanently mounted in my car for data logging.

I'm trying to select the OS and see what the best boot times you guys have achieved. Can you tell me:

1) from cold start, how long until everything's loaded and the machine is ready to go (drive activity stops)?

2) CPU, amt. of RAM and IDE vs. SCSI?

3) What OS are you running?

4) Is the machine networked? What protocols?

5) Did you do anything special to decrease boot time?

After searching this forum, I found this: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=641 Any other sights you've found helpful?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
slloow about 1:30 in w2k its much quicker in win98se but I can't remember a figure.

I have a 1.4GHz Athelon with 512MB DDR (Crucial PC2100) and a 40GB Maxtor IDE 7200 rpm running on the ASUS A7M266. Theres no network card.

In Win98 and ME you can add a command in the msdos.sys file that specifies a bootdelay of 0 this is a delay that microsoft puts into the code to make sure the logo stays on screen.

msdos.sys is in the root directory its a hidden file so you'll need to say you want to view them change it from a read only file in the properties. Open in notepad and add BootDelay=0 in there. Then change it back to read only after.

My parents PIII 800 with only 64MB was really fast in winME I was amazed at the speed of it.

Good luck,

Martin

edit: its 30 sec for win98

and my times include the time it takes me to choose which os I want to use and whatever intialisation it does to bring up that menu.

·
Registered
686 Posts
For Win 98, Win 98SE and probably Me you can use these tweaks:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=641

2000 is the slowest "booter" I guess, and XP is a bit faster. But the network cards will always slow down boot times.

On my work PC, W98, less than 30 seconds to OS fully loaded (and it takes about 10 just to leave the BIOS' post screen).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scott,

A few months ago, I saw a post in another forum from someone who claimed he significantly improved his startup time after installing a RAID 0 configuration for his boot disk.

(Raid 0 is disk striping across two disks. It gives better throughput because the system can use twice the disk arms and I/O headers. The disadvantage is a doubled chance of catastrophic failure: you lose all data if either hard drive fails.)

(RAID 1 is a mirrored disk configuration. I have a RAID 1 configuration for my boot disk on my deskside PC and see the same 1:30 startup time on W2K as Martin, above, on a similar machine (AMD 1.33GHz, 512MB DDRAM). So, at least with the HighPoint controller I use, RAID 1 does not appear to improve startup time.)

A tip in case you go this route: I stumbled getting the install process for W2K to recognize the boot disk. If the install process does not recognize the disk, it will give you the option to install a SCSI driver by pressing Alt-6 (I think). Do this, and feed it your RAID driver instead. The installation proceeds from there. Also, I use GOBACK, and it is compatible with hardware supported RAID.

Something to consider.

Rob

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you are willing to have your data logger run a different OS then you may want to look into a Linux machine. I've a single board computer booting Linux at work and it's stunning how quickly it starts up.

There is also a Linux based replacement for your BIOS (be very careful with this) that can get through the BIOS setup in

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.