AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

How fast is transferring shows between 2 RPTV's on a LAN

285 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  SxDx
I bought a 4504 at circuit city almost a month back. Then I ordered one for $50 less at J&R, but they were out of stock. Today they finally delivered it. Now I have 1 day to connect my new unit and transfer the old shows and old activation to it.

I will be connecting it to my router which is connected to a Attbi cable modem.

I ask because the speed of txfering shows over the internet, as well as to my pc using DvArchive, is absymally slow. I was hoping I can do this much faster using an actual RPTV.

Also is it possible to connect a replaytv without a cable connetcion? I plan to connect the 2nd unit my pc monitor in my bedroom and just put it on the network so it can start the 10 day trial period.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Well, to answer your main question, Replay's DO NOT transfer shows between units locally, they stream shows between eachother in real-time. There are methods to transfer shows between units, but it's basically like sending shows over the Internet or to your computer and it will not be any quicker. Finally, the shows you transfer to another unit will be in the received folder so they can not be sorted nor transferred again.

I don't quite understand the other question. Are you saying your just going to use the other unit to watch shows recorded on another unit?
The speed between 2 replayTV's is only just enough to keep up the stream also right now so I wish it could copy (or at least work like live and create a buffer). I have 2x5040 and if one is streaming to the other even if it's just switched ON, it will get behind very quickly and you'll get skipping.

I've copied from the 5040 to the PC like you and I don't know whether the network card has been tweeked down to stop it interferring but whilst switched off - iIt copies about 1.6gb an hour between the replay and the PC on a 100MB backbone.
Well damn :(

I want to return my old unit and transfer all shows (which I want to preserve) to the new one.

I guess in that case I'll just transfer them to my pc and clear out the old one before I return it.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
Well, to answer your main question, Replay's DO NOT transfer shows between units locally, they stream shows between eachother in real-time. There are methods to transfer shows between units, but it's basically like sending shows over the Internet or to your computer and it will not be any quicker. Finally, the shows you transfer to another unit will be in the received folder so they can not be sorted nor transferred again.

I don't quite understand the other question. Are you saying your just going to use the other unit to watch shows recorded on another unit?
not true - depends on how smart your router is...you have to be using a router that understands that although the requests go out to the internet both machines are located on local/internal ip's...unfortunately many consumer-grade routers don't do this

(jtl has a much better answer somewhere if someone wants to find it)
If your router's NAT implementation is not brain dead (someone else's terminology, not mine), it's possible to transfer shows from ReplayTV to ReplayTV on a LAN. If you have Internet sharing of shows working with somebody else's ReplayTV, you can try adding your other ReplayTV to the address book. If it's found and accepted you can transfer shows from one to the other as fast as your LAN and the ReplayTV NIC will allow. If the Internet address of your other ReplayTV can't be found, then either you aren't configured correctly, or your router's NAT implementation is broken.

I'm not sure there's a list of routers that will work, but my own experience was that a Linksys BEFSR41 and BEFSR81 will NOT work for transferring shows from one ReplayTV to another on the LAN.

-Gary
You will need a router that will allow you to set ipClassless.

The problem is replays on the same lan will not see each other because by default routers ignore the first 3 parts of the ip for all internal request.

If you enable ipClassless it will resolve the whole ip(not just its own class c), and therefore be able to find the other replay on the lan.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.