AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How focused can I get my sony 1271? I've done the 2-4 pole alignment and the electronic alignment but the picture still looks unfocused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Depending on the age of the tubes and hour count, you may have reached the limit of the ES focus tubes. What resolution are you using?

Curt

·
Registered
345 Posts
are you unhappy with the focus accross the screen? or are you unhappy with it at different ponts in the image? The mooney ass flapping mod (or at least my version of it) helps to attain a uniformity of focus accross the screen)

I assume you have done all the right things such as cleaning the rear of the lenses, shimming the CRT's for perfect mechanical convergence, maximised raster etc...

·
Registered
271 Posts
One possibility is that you have it too focussed. My PJ looks better when the focus is softened a little. It depends on the screen size, among other things. Also, have you tried scaling down the scan rate to a lower level, like 540p and checked how that affects the focus?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mooneyass:

I've also been trying to get my focus a little better on my 1271. I have got it pretty good, but I still can't get the 'h dots' to come apart. I can see a slight indent where a black line should appear but not as described in the sony setup manual.

Just wondering how you adjust the screws without unpluging the power module ?

btw. Great document.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
P3, very carefully, with a long, non-magnetic screwdriver or hex driver.

Htmike, If you can't get 666p (Wes was lucky/skilled), try 576p.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mark

You come to the rescue again.

I can see scan lines at 576, even on 2.35:1, I'm very happy.

Can you see the 'h' dots ?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I could at 576p, except for blue which was defocused a bit. Pasey had a 1251 that had REALLY sharp focus, they were dead obvious.

Pasey, Wes and I, have all upgraded from 12xx's. I can't remember what Wes got, but Pasey's got an XG and I've got a PG Xtra.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i think Wes got a Ehome.

I love my XG ;-p

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
I used screws with phillips heads instead of allen heads when I did the focus mod. I already had a elongated phillips head screwdriver. (However, the one I have is metal which isn't good...I should get a plastic one.)

I think anyone who's done the Mooneyass mod and really got it to work would have trouble going back to the rings method. Optical focus is surprizingly hard to perfect. EM focus machines must be even more challanging to set up.

-Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.