AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! TV newbie again! I beat my head against a wall for a week trying to get a TV Wonder to not blow my registry. Failed. Now playing with Hauppauge 401. Their software is adequate, but I think dTV has a better picture. But how can I get sound out of it?

From Display Properties, Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver (the audio driver says it's okay):

Decoder BT878, Tuner Philips FM1236, Tuner: NTSC, Tuner Audio: Stereo(MSP3435)

MSI K7T Turbo (Via KT133A chipset), Duron 800, 256mb cl2 Crucial ram, Toshiba 1502 DVD, AOpen 1232A burner, Hoontech Digital DX sound card, Radeon LE video. Win98SE. Via at 4.30n. Board at 1.6b .

tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristi

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
someone posted the gory details a few weeks back. They are:

This applies to the Hauppauge WinTV 401 card.

If you don't get stereo sound do the following steps:

(You must click the items even if already checked)

(1) Activate the WinTV software then kill it.This appears to initialize something on the card.

(2) Start dTV

(3) Click settings/AudioInput/tuner

(4) Click hardware/MSP-Radio/TV Terrestrial FM

You will now get mono noise

(5) Click hardware/MSP-Radio/Stereo

You should now have stereo noise

(6) Click hardware/MSP-Radio/Speech-Channel 1

You should now have glorious stereo sound - enjoy.

This works for me with the dTV hardware set to 'Standard bt878' and 'Philips NTSC'

[This message has been edited by JasG (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Kristi: the next dScaler release (within the next week or so) will cure #1 from the above list.

btw, don't beat your head up against the wall. I can assure you that it's not worth it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately when I do step 6, all I get is more noise! I have a loopback to the video in on my sound card. At one point I also had an esternal line going from the line out to the line in on the audio card - made it obvious they both carry the same noise. The possibility for quadraphonic noise with reverb in surround sound boggles the mind... thoughts?

Kristi

PS definitely looking forward to dscaler! Any other program I could use in the meantime?

tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

where's my hammer?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Kristi, That list was something I posted for an earlier version of dTV. Currently dTV 2.1.2 requires only steps 1 and 2. This might be because I clicked the right things upon installation and the settings are now saved. Anyway, after starting and killing the WinTV software, dTV now comes up with stereo sound. The dTV settings look like this:

Settings/Audio Input/ Tuner - checked

Hardware/MSP Radio/ TV Terrestrial FM-mono + FM stereo - checked

Hardware/MSP Radio/ Stereo - checked

Hardware/Setup Hardware/ Standard BT 878 - chosen

Hardware/Setup Hardware/ Philips NTSC - chosen

Hardware/Audio-Mixer Setup/Mixer-Device activate & control - checked

-also sliders all the way up and Always On unchecked

The hardware is connected as follows: the Hauppauge 401 audio output is connected to an SBLive card's internal aux input with the 4 wire connector. The SB's SPDIF output is connected to the Delta Dio SPDIF input externally with a short coax. The DDio SPDIF output then goes to an external DD/DTS decoder.

There are also some system settings. Go to:

Start/Settings/Control Panel/Multimedia

-playback is set to: WavOut SPDIF Delt-DiO

-recording: SPDIF In DeltaDio

These should obviously correspond to your sound card.

In my case, the DDio panel must also be set to SPDIF In and its control panel slider up. I don't know if your Hoontech card is similar?

Finally check ths system volume controls.

Right click the speaker icon in the task bar, then Open Volume Controls. The PlayControl and Auxiliary sliders should be up and unmuted. Use Options to get them if they are not displayed.

If none of this works, you should at least be able to get sound from the 401's line out jack, but you will need an adapter. Since you say WinTV works, the card is obviously ok.

Jerry

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here's what I checked to get reliable sound from a WinTV-PVR (don't know if it applies to your 401): Check "TV Terrestial..." and "Speech-Channel 1" and uncheck "Automatic Stereo Adjustment"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for all your ideas. I did get it working, and it seems quite by chance. Maybe that's how it goes? My audio is on MSP/Radio, Hardware is TV terestrial, and Chanel 1. I can start and stop it, but I fully suspect that if I touch anything I will lose it. It's like using 5 different knobs to tune in an old shortwave radio!. Unfortunately the registry on this load is blown... I think I will have a much better chance when the next release comes out, so I can avoid WinTV altogether, which also has a tad of a prob with my Via chipset.

Also I notice that many times when I'm scanning the channels to get a channel list (I have restored my system image many times trying to work through the WinTV issues) I get tuner read errors and have to restart it. Is that normal?

thanks all!!!

Kristi

------------------

where's my hammer?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've had another day to play with dTV and I am definitely a convert! I had expected that restoring the system image would leave me struggling to get the sound back. Not so! ;D I still have to briefly start and stop WinTV, but that is a small price to pay for the superior image. THANKS!!!!!!!!

Kristi

------------------

where's my hammer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.