AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are they compared to Samsung and Sharp. Don´t Sony use them for their 30" LCD, which is supposedly pretty good??

·
Registered
798 Posts
I personally have spent about three hours with the new Zenith L30W36 which is also the LG Panel.

The Zenith performed beautifully. I had four HD Mpeg files going through an RGB cable and was astonished by the clarity and richness of the picture. Being disappointed in Zeniths Plasma, I was not expecting to be blown away by the quality of their LCD's. No, the blacks were not perfect but were very, very good. I have not seen an LCD that can do it better. The "looking out of a window" effect was definitely evident. DVD's looked equally impressive with no artifacts to speak of. The DVD Player used was the Zenith DVB216 and was connected via S-Video.

The unit itself is a work of art. Stainless bezel and speakers are really attractive. One of the most attractive I have seen. The pictures online do not do it justice. You should really see it in person.

Because of this, I myself have decided to wait to see what comes out later this year before I make my purchase. I was going to purchase a 50" plasma but have decided to wait and see what the larger LCD's will look like. Both Zenith and Samsung should have offerings in the coming months and without the risk of "Burn", it makes them that much more appealing (Not to mention the 1920 x 1080 native resolutions)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"You should really see it in person" :) I wish.. I live in Iceland and there is no such stuff here.

Isn´t 720p an ideal resolution for DVD, since the latest DVD players scale to that and also wouldn´t an 720p LCD be cheaper?

I only see a L30w25 on their website and it has a "350:1 high contrast", now what about that number is high?

·
Registered
950 Posts
The info on Zenith's website is incorrect. That is preliminary information that was never updated. Zenith specs the CR at 400:1. The L30W26 only shipped for about two months before being updated with the L30W36 (which is not yet on the website at all).

Robert

·
Registered
798 Posts
Contrast ratings are very unreliable.

Manufacturers have different ways of measuring how much contrast a piece actually has, which may make it sound like that piece has an extrordinary amount.

Although 400:1 does not sound high, when vewing this panel, you would think it to be higher.

I am sorry to hear that Iceland is limited in the different amount of technology readily available. You really should personally see the display prior to purchasing. Everyones eyes see things just a little bit different....... Especially, on this forum!! :D

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
the NEC LCD4000 and LCD3000 displays are based upon LG-Philips panels.

Both are excellent and you can check out this thread for a "first look" at the LCD4000...

You should expect a 1920x1080 52" display from them late this year or early next year based upon the LC520W01 panel (remember that they're targeting the business market, so aren't cramming to get it built for Christmas sales...)

-dwx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.