AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
LOL

Chubzilla yeah, the PS3 doesn't upconvert at all (though future firmware updates might fix that).

But many owners have reported that their TVs do as good if not better a job than the scalers in upscaling DVD players anyway. So I think you need to factor in your display device into the equation as well.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya /forum/post/0

LOL

Chubzilla yeah, the PS3 doesn't upconvert at all (though future firmware updates might fix that).

I thought this requires hardware, i.e. a scaling processor.

Can the Cell be programmed to do this? If so, how much processing power would that rob?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
^ there is a general consensus that sony might be able to activate it via FW update .. * march>???

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyline /forum/post/0

How does the PS3 do playing normal DVDs then? I'm debating if I can get rid of my Oppo 971 or not.

Your Oppo does a much better job...I have compared my Oppo 971, Tosh A2 and the PS3...I would rate them in this order 1) Tosh A2, 2) Oppo 971, and then the PS3. There is suppose to be a update firmware for the PS3...I am not sure when this will happen. Enjoy your Oppo.

·
Registered
701 Posts
To answer your actual question. It plays standard DVD's like crap compared to any decent DVD player that can upscale. If you don't already have an upscaling player I wouldn't suggest the PS3 if you plan on watching DVD much.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Well Jayselle, you're definitely in the minority opinion in terms of it's SD output capabilities.

@Sketcha: Scaling hasn't been enabled in games cross-resolution, but there is scaling in the PS3. Consider that the first Japanese PS3's with original firmware did indeed output BD at 720p if selected. It was later disabled however in firmware. I don't think they'll ever bother for games because the degment of the populace burdened with 1080i-only CRT RPTVs is just too meager, but I fully expect a DVD upconversion update as time goes on.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya /forum/post/0

Well Jayselle, you're definitely in the minority opinion in terms of it's SD output capabilities.

@Sketcha: Scaling hasn't been enabled in games cross-resolution, but there is scaling in the PS3. Consider that the first Japanese PS3's with original firmware did indeed output BD at 720p if selected. It was later disabled however in firmware. I don't think they'll ever bother for games because the degment of the populace burdened with 1080i-only CRT RPTVs is just too meager, but I fully expect a DVD upconversion update as time goes on.

O.K., that has some sense to it. Thanks.

Do you know whether or not it has a dedicated scaling processor?

EDIT: From what I've read, it doesn't. Couldn't cost 'em more than 15 bucks a unit. I've heard excuses for why not like "they want people to buy BD discs." Still, seems like a very bad move to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 /forum/post/0

Your Oppo does a much better job...I have compared my Oppo 971, Tosh A2 and the PS3...I would rate them in this order 1) Tosh A2, 2) Oppo 971, and then the PS3. There is suppose to be a update firmware for the PS3...I am not sure when this will happen. Enjoy your Oppo.

Cool, looks like I'll be getting an HDMI switch.

On the upscaling issue, it doesn't bother me too much. My Sony CRT puts everything in 1080i, so it's not a big deal. Should this only bother people who have TVs that can only accept a certain signal, and have no scaling of their own?

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha /forum/post/0

O.K., that has some sense to it. Thanks.

Do you know whether or not it has a dedicated scaling processor?

EDIT: From what I've read, it doesn't. Couldn't cost 'em more than 15 bucks a unit. I've heard excuses for why not like "they want people to buy BD discs." Still, seems like a very bad move to me.

Apparently you only own the PS3 then. A $100 upscaling DVD player has better SD output. My Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player blows the PS3 out of the water with SD playback. I also have a Panasonic S97 upscaling DVD player from 2004 that does a much better job.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle /forum/post/0

Apparently you only own the PS3 then. A $100 upscaling DVD player has better SD output. My Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player blows the PS3 out of the water with SD playback. I also have a Panasonic S97 upscaling DVD player from 2004 that does a much better job.

Actually I don't own a PS3.

Did you quote the wrong post or something?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
PS3 is one of the worst upconverting players ever......If you are getting it for that dont bother.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyline /forum/post/0

Cool, looks like I'll be getting an HDMI switch.

On the upscaling issue, it doesn't bother me too much. My Sony CRT puts everything in 1080i, so it's not a big deal. Should this only bother people who have TVs that can only accept a certain signal, and have no scaling of their own?

Listen, why wouldn't it bother you?? Dont you think that should be a gimme that the nexr gen formats can easily upconvert regular dvd's better than a $100.00 dvd player?

I do. Especially since it is supposed to be a "Media Hub".

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:

I thought this requires hardware, i.e. a scaling processor.

The PS3 does a lot of things in software that people were used to seeing done by dedicated hardware. Presuming you've got enough horsepower, there's no reason NOT to do it in software - among other things, this means that bugs won't be hardwired and can be corrected with firmware updates.

Quote:

Can the Cell be programmed to do this?

The Cell is easily capable of doing a great job of upscaling. Consider that the Blu-ray player is 100% software and merely upscaling DVDs starts to look pretty easy by comparison. Still, a good upscaling algorithm will take time to develop and test and my guess is their plate was rather full just getting the features they HAD to have ready in time to launch the machine.

Quote:

If so, how much processing power would that rob?

The PS3 operating system design reserves the vast majority of system resources for ONE foreground task at a time. Whether you're playing a game, a DVD, or Blu-ray you have the same amount of horsepower available to devote to the task. Currently when playing a DVD the system is pretty much idling - so there's easily enough headroom to include decent upscaling in the future.

Scaling for Blu-ray should also be possible according to the claims of Sony engineers - even decoding the maximum bitrate H.264 video takes less than half of the Cell's computational power. There are obviously other tasks (audio decoding et al) but I suspect they can get a decent scaler in the mix eventually.

Scaling games? That's a different matter since they'll tend to push the hardware much more and make aggressive demands on memory as well. It will be interesting to see if Sony addresses the 720p problem for all games, just future games, or not at all.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.