Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After several years and months of putting it together, I seem to have all the components ready to build my HTPC. I use my PC for games (racing sims mostly) and have a projector which I use with the DVD and amp.

I have the following equipment:

PC:

P4 2.2 Ghz

80 Gb HD

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Audigy Gamer

DVD

CD-Writer

Wireless keyboard-mouse

Hyperstimulator

Home Theater:

Denon AVR 2700

Toshiba 2108 DVD

Toshiba Hi-Fi VCR

Sony VPL-W400Q LCD Front Projector

Stewart StudioTek 100" 16x9 screen

Energy speakers all around

My 2 questions are, after reading some negative posts about the Audigy, how good is the M-Audio card for gaming?

I´m having some trouble now to get the Audigy to connect properly to the amp, either in coax or digital, how have others connected it?

Thanks,

Arturo

·
Registered
12 Posts
The M-Audio revolution is about to come out, which is meant for gaming with it being equipped with EAX.

However if you don't think the revolution is good enough and you don't need EAX... My Delta dio 2496 works just fine with games... I hear no problems with it. The only thing that I have to worry about is if the game is too old. Older games dont a high enough sample rate for my reciever (or sound card.. i dont know who is to blame) to decode. Either way, you just simply have to check the "rate locked" box at whichever rate you want.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The Delta 410 works fine. I have a nForce sound chip as well, connected digitally to the Delta 410, but the Delta 410 is sufficient for my gaming that I don't bother enabling the digital input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Esben, when you say you have your nForce connected digitally to your 410, what exactly do you mean? Is it all in the software/drivers? If so, does that mean you can take advantage of the nForce DD encoding feature and output 5.1 through the 410 when playing eax games?

I'm asking because I have a 410 and have been looking at an nForce or nForce2 as my next motherboard.

Newer games work fine for me, but I tried playing Starcraft after I got my 410 installed, and a lot of the sounds are kind of garbled. Playable, but frustrating.

Alton

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I connect it via coax to the digital input on the Delta 410. The nForce is set to output PCM audio through SPDIF, which the Delta plays back.

I can't take advantage of the Dolby Digital encoding as I know of no programs being able to decode external Dolby Digital.

I haven't encountered any games doing what you experience with Star Craft playing garbled sounds.

I can definitely recommend nForce mobos.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OK, I get you. I may try starcraft again to make sure I wasn't dreaming before. The music was fine, but the unit sounds, explosions, and dialogue were weird. First I gotta stop playing Warcraft 3 long enough to do it. Man, I am such a Blizzard junkie.

Alton

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments. I´ll have to look for more information on the M-Audio card and how to connect it to my HTPC set up.

Do you know if the Audigy 2 Platinum has the same kind of problems than the Audigy?

/Arturo

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The M-Audio revolution supports EAX via software drivers and your CPU. Look at a comparision between the audigy and terratec card to see how thoses two cards faired in comparision for games. Things might be similar for the M-audio card since it also uses the Sensaura API to support games.

Revolution is not out yet, so no one can say for sure, but I would guess that it would support games with slightly higher CPU utilization and lower quality gaming sound effects than the audigy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.