AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the rare few that have the 5080, how would rate its picture quality vs live TV, in best, mid, least quality settings. Were there any problems with registration on-line, how soon was your set activated. Any glitches you noticed so far. What software version came out of the box and was it upgraded during a nightly call. Is the 5080 a good buy, if given the chance would you buy it again?. I have been told by my Best Buy professional salesperson they are expected in-store tomorrow so an early reply sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My wife has had her 5080 for some days now. She likes it. She wonders how she got along without it. And this reaction is with me and my ShowStopper of two years. :rolleyes:

She has not rung it out completely. She hasn't tried all the quality modes or off-loading to tape. So far, she likes the picture quality. That said, when we installed it, I had to replace the 3-way passive cable TV splitter with an active 4-way splitter to handle her two VCRs and TV set, along with the new 5080. She said the picture on the TV set direct from cable was better, so it's hard to tell who's doing what to whom.

Buy it, you'll like it. :D

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surely they sold more than one. Particularly interested in recording picture quality. How much of the 80 hours might be considered reference quality and how much no better than adequate?.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Tivo, a Panasonic Showstopper and a ReplayTV 5080 and I think the ReplayTV 5080 does the best job at low quality records. I'm most impressed by how it cleans up noisy signals (one of my inputs is off air antenna).

I don't record much in High quality unless it is an action packed movie, but their medium quality looks very good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well, first impressions.....i received the 5080 yesterday, and had it hooked up by bedtime....initial setup fairly standard....complication set in with connections to a/v receiver...i'm still working on getting sound through receiver...

using a std phone line total time for complete setup of cable box, channels and installation of software....a little over two hours...connections fails=only twice (not too bad)

set to record a cable movie at highest quality before i went to bed and it worked perfectly.

there seemed to be a serious lag when changing channels using the cable remote (old story)....not sure of long term effect....

havent tried namy of the features i was just happy to get it hoked up and runing....

im sure things will be much more interesting when my sat200 receiver and plasma get here....lol....

my first post on here...i'm so nervous....lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
well, first impressions.....i received the 5080 yesterday, and had it hooked up by bedtime....initial setup fairly standard....complication set in with connections to a/v receiver...i'm still working on getting sound through receiver...

using a std phone line total time for complete setup of cable box, channels and installation of software....a little over two hours...connections fails=only twice (not too bad)

set to record a cable movie at highest quality before i went to bed and it worked perfectly.

there seemed to be a serious lag when changing channels using the cable remote (old story)....not sure of long term effect....

havent tried namy of the features i was just happy to get it hoked up and runing....

im sure things will be much more interesting when my sat200 receiver and plasma get here....lol....

my first post on here...i'm so nervous....lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 5080 arrived on Friday and I have the box almost full with programming already.

Picture quality is fine with me-- and I have started using Medium (their lowest quality option).

I have started copying programming to my PC using ReplayPC.exe.

Activation went smoothly.

If you get a Best Buy credit card approval, you can order thre product from their web site and get a 1-yr no interest deal. And if your nearest stores have it in stock, you can even pick it up. However they ship for free and I had it the same week I ordered it.

By the way the salesman recommended the 4-yr extended warranty for $80 and I went for it-- even though I usually reject that idea. I figure if the hard disk crashes even once, the warranty has paid for itself.

I would make this decision again. My only regret is that hard disks are not even cheaper. Ultimately I will have to think of adding another box.

I have it hooked up to my house ethernet network and would love to swap the shows from living room to bedroom.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that more 5080s have become available, how would you rate its CA feature, 100%, 80% reliable, unreliable?.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
CA is very reliable, but not always :) It's a terrific feature to have, even when it's not working 100% it's just a QS click to get it back in line 99% of the time. There are times when I simply rewind before the commercial, turn CA off, then QS manually (if it skips too far). Takes all of 3 seconds, no big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.