this 65" RPTV. The smaller 56" Panasonic RPTV has gotten lots

more attention. Panasonic's 56" and 65" sets are shaped

differently on the outside but I understand they're similar

internally, although I haven't heard if the power supplies

etc. are completely identical or not.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying this set soon, so I'd

love to hear from owners who own it. If you have seen it,

can you comment on what it's like displaying digital

480p/1080i/720p, and as well as normal NTSC???

Also any advice on where to purchase it and whether I

should purchase a WARRANTY for it, would also be

appreciated.

Will

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Mike,

I read your thread on 720p before posting mine. In fact that's

one reason I started this thread. In fact, I asked in your thread

if anybody had any experience with the 65" Panasonic, and

when after a few days, I didn't get a response, started

this thread.

Most of the Panasonic comments on your thread were for

the 56" Panasonic, not the 65" Panasonic. That was my

impression. Maybe I'm wrong though. Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
842 Posts
I own the ptwxf95a 56 amd have been very happy. Please tell me you did not get my model for 1100. The 56 and 65 have the same internal so naturally the smaller picture will look better. I was torn between the two and thought the etown reviewer was right.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just received a PT-65WX50 this last Monday. So far I have very few complaints. The complaints that I can say right off the bat is the manual is very poor, switching between sources is a bit slow, and the protective screen really makes it hard to watch during the day. Part of this is how my room is setup and can be fix with better window blinds. I watch OTA material, Dish via a 6000, and DVDs. So far I haven't noticed the white vertical streaks that some owners have mentioned on here. I sit about 16 feet from the set and I was torn between the 56 and 65 and I'm glad I did get the 65. I'll put up with a picture that isn't quite as good. It's funny that once I got the Panny my audio system seemed to sound better http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mviola:
Hi,

I'm also interested in the Panasonic HDTV models. Are you referring

to the 56xxHX40 models or some other. I believe these are one of

the few RPTV's that come with two HD component connections for a

STB and a progressive scan DVD player. Am I correct?
Since you asked about the HX40 sets: I have the 61" HX40, which is very similar to the PT56WXF95 except 4:3 is native aspect ratio and no support for 720P. Other features are pretty much the same (two component inputs, prog scan line doubler, 3:2 pulldown, etc). Picture quality is also similar, except for 1080i is probably better on the widescreen model.

On the HX40, 16:9 enhanced DVD input is anamorphically sqeezed, resulting in a 56" diag picture of excellent quality. 16:9 1080i HDTV is also excellent, 56" diag, but framed with grey letterbox bars (generated by HDS20 STB). No squeeze here, but thanks to 1080i, display is awesome and scanlines are not visible 7-8 feet away.

However, since the HX40 is throwing away scanlines in 1080i mode, I'd expect that the PT56WXF95 1080i display is better than the HX40 (has anyone done a side-by-side comparison?). And of course the 720P feature is very appealing. But with retail at $900 more and limited availability... for me it was a tough choice. For a serious widescreen buff it's probably a no-brainer, find one before they disappear :> ). Check out the messages on the PT56WX95 at www.egroups.com.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
the protective screen really makes it hard to watch during the day
I hear the reflective screen be removed on Toshiba RPTVs. Does anyone know if they can be removed on Panasonic RPTVs?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I hear the reflective screen be removed on Toshiba RPTVs. Does anyone know if they can be removed on Panasonic RPTVs?
Yes, there are reports it has been removed. Also, the reflective screen can be reordered in the stack to move it closer into the TV.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems the 65" Panasonic that does 720p is being

discontinued. That's what they say at Ken Crane's.

So long, Panasonic PT-65WX50B.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Will,

Panasonic is discontinuing them because they are going to 1080i only models like everyone else. It will help them cut costs.

Those who bought the 56" or 65" with the two scan modes have a fairly unique piece of equipment, since there aren't many (if any) RPTVs that do that in that price range.

The only thing is if HDCP makes them obsolete in the near future (which I'm not betting on.)

Brian

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Those who bought the 56" or 65" with the two scan modes have a fairly unique piece of equipment, since there aren't many (if any) RPTVs that do that in that price range.
I believe both are still available, and at nice discounts.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I believe both are still available, and at nice discounts.
One would think… however, I have yet to find any discounted prices (or at least, anything *I* would consider to be "discounted," considering it IS a discontinued model) - specifically for the 56", but the 65" isn't likely to be much more from the same sources.

If anything, the deals of old seem to have disappeared. I've read reports of people finding the set for $1000 or $1500… mjfeeney posted above that (s)he picked up the set from Sears for $1100. Now Sears wants to charge the full MSRP of $3999 for the 56" set (they don't even carry the 65").

The best price I could find online (including shipping since this is what I would be trying to get Sears to beat) was $2899 from dmart2000.com (or dmartstores.com, same store - different site). Compare that with $2179+shipping for the Tosh 56H80 from CrazyEddie (and I'm sure that can be beat), or the $2350 after rebate advertised locally for the Mits 55807, not to mention the fact that this set HAS gone for $1000! It makes plunking down that much extra - for a discontinued set with weird edge correction or scan velocity modulation ("er sumthing") that apparantly can't be disabled - that much more difficult to swallow, 720p or no.

If only *I* could get that $1100 deal… I'd take it in a heartbeat.

-Moorebid

--edit: Just removed a duplicate QUOTE tag...

[This message has been edited by Moorebid (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Will,

I have owned the Panny 65 since January. I bought it online

(I will look up the vender when I get home) for $2599. The kicker was the shipping ($495). This was a new model back then so it was not around yet.

I coupled it with the tuhds-20 stb and am extreemly satisfied. Convergence can be a bear at times but have learned how to get onto the service menu so that takes care of the fine tuning (only been in there once).

The fact that it passes all formats nativilty was the main selling point. Combined with the panny stb it changes input scans automatically. Unfortunatly, the 720p ability may be lost to lack of material being transmitted. It seems that 1080i and 480p will be the only ones left standing in the future.

As far as 9" guns are concerned, yeah, they are much better fo HD but if you are like most of us the extreem price differential weighs in heavily.

Anywho, I highly recomend the set! The picture exceeds my expectations and blows most others away (especially in this price range). No problems yet.

Good luck,

George

·
Registered
136 Posts
Will, I may be wrong but it appears that ABC is the only one hanging in there on 720P. There is talk of 720p dvds and such but in truth it seems to be easier for all involved to maintain and push the 1080i/480p format.

I bought the panny to be future proof. What a joke, with the DVI/HDCP encryption looming large, all of us early adoptors my be screwed anyway. I do have faith in the resources of

pissed off americans to curcumvent this. Hell,look what has been done to DSS.

The panny will display all formats now and in the future. Whether we will be allowed to see it is another issue.

George

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.