Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Rachael, brett and all other ld-freaks :)

I wonder if anyone knows how good the old Pioneer

CLD-3380? Is it really bad or?

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
NIN, that's not a model that I've seen in the U.S. I'm sure we had something akin to it, the CLD-3080 perhaps? Which was an above average player and predecessor to the 701, 702, 703, 704 model runs....? The 3080 was proably an '88 or '89 model? There-abouts anyway....Anyway, me thinks, you're proably inquiring about a very old player and should be somewhat wary of it. All the best players have been made since 1992 IMO. Best wishes from Laserland!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Mattias,

I recently offered my father a used CLD-3390, which might be similar to the CLD-3380? At least the numbers are a close match (if you're interested, I believe my repair guy has a second unit for sale quite cheap).

It is a NTSC only unit, which gives a decent image quality, but in no way comparable to the Japanese players, or even the Gas PR-8210 that my local tech gave me. (by the way, CarRod of this forum had a chance to see this Gas laserhead player, playing the same LD as the X9 on the same TV, only difference being that it was its composite output versus the X9's S-VHS out.

For my father's use, on a small TV set, the CLD-3390 is fine and pleases him. However, I watched a few minutes of Spike Lee's Mo' Better Blues on it and it was far less crisp, with a less detailed and luminous picture as compared to my last viewing of that LD on the HLD-XO. The sound worked fine pumped through his TV set.

Clearly, to me these are okay TV-grade LD players, but not Home Theater grade, if you'll forgive the discrimination. Meaning that they will allow you to watch a movie on LD as you'd expect to view it on TV, but fall short of image quality and sound definition for optimum viewing on a widescreen setup with a full blown sound system. Not that you can't, just that it is in such circumstances that a higher end player (ie Japanese) will make an impressive difference.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here I am.

Hi Brett,

You'll receive email to gladly thank you.

I came back at work on monday: my webservers suffered a big "headache" during the WE (on a "true" real world project ;)), so I'm a bit busy currently (I mean under pressure).

I went to vo-only (picked 10 LDs, not really lot of classics left on shop), fnac st-lazare, prophot (found some CC-Red filters for my Sony VW10HT), and looked at CineLaser shop (near Porte St-Cloud, disappointing compared to Cobra and Magma).

Carlos

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rachael and Brett.

The main reason I ask you was because on another forum one member said that the 3380 was one of the best ld-player ever!

Of course I didn't believe him :)

Well, I'm enormously satisfied with my X9. But call me crazy or what, I'm really thinking about getting a almost new HLD-X0!

And a LD-S9 so I can play with LD-G...:)

I also have a chance to buy one collection of 220 movies (star wars SE box, seven box and many other newer ld's) and 2 players, a european CLD-925 (I have owned one before) and a CLD-95, somewhat defect (will cost abour 80$ to fix it).

All this for 1600$!! Not bad at all, or what do you think?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
NIN, I think you're crazier than even me and Brett!:)! The 95 has real good composite output, the comb filter is ancient. It weighs 38 lbs (17 kg) same as your X9. I sold mine recently. Do you have to take the two players to get the LDs? I presume so....Best wishes!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rachael,

Yes, I had to take the player and the disc's together, so I skip that deal. It was only 80-90 disc's that I really wanted. So I think I will get a X0 instead :)

Take care

-Mattias-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.