AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to choose a surround sound system for a new projector that I have. I am looking at the Onkyo HT-S3100 or the HT-S6100. My main interest is how good is the HT-S6100 at upscaling SD programming at 1080i, which is the highest my projector can display. I have hooked it up to my sat box using a S-Video cable and it looks pretty poor, plus it is in 4:3 instead of 16:9. Would the HT-S6100 be worth spending the extra coin on to gain the video upscaling feature? If you have used this feature of your HT-S6100, I would like your input.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the upscaler in the 6100 is the same as that of the 7100, then it's not great. It's mostly ok, but the 7100 receiver (the 606) has been said to sometimes add artifacts or windowboxing. I haven't noticed any artifacts, personally, but that's what some reviewers said. Anyway, I just set it in pass through mode mostly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am getting mine tomorrow and will let you know. All of the reviews I have read and watched state that it is not anything to brag about. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the upscaler is the same in the 6100 as the 7100. ITtech, I would be interested in hearing your opinion when you get your 6100. What I don't understand is when I view a SD signal through my HD tuner with OTA it looks pretty good, just the picture has black boxes on the sides. But when I view the sat box with the S-Video, it appears grainy and low resolution. My HD tuner (LG LST-3510A) has an upscaler for the internal DVD player, but I'm not sure if it is upscaling the SD signal coming OTA. I guess that is what got me interested in the video upscaling of the Onkyo's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts