AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have found a coworker who wants to buy my IScan Pro, and was thinking of the Quadscan Pro as the next cheap step up from the IScan.

Can anyone comment on it's performance? I haven't seen many recent reviews or comments on the unit. We almost always watch DVDs (film) through the PJ, so I'm not terribly concerned about video performance. I usually use my HTPC w/TT player, but the WAF factor there is small. I'd like to find a low cost solution which has a higher WAF rating (sit down, power things on, insert DVD, enjoy) but which I can still stomach in terms of performance.

The Quadscan Pro sounds pretty decent, but is it worth the $499 that AVS is selling the b-stock units for?

Thanks much,

-Jon

[it'll be powering an NEC vt540k w/ISCO II, driven by a panny rv-31]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mp20748,

That's pretty enthusiastic! It's that much better than an IScan?

Maybe I should try to grab one today for tomorrow :D

Thanks,

-Jon

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nope.... its got worse de-interlacing. Depends if your projector suffers from severe scan lines with doubler on whether the performance trade-off for extra resolution is worth it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the pj looked great with the IScan - the picture is a bit soft, but AFAIK that's completely the IScan's fault (it does tend to soften the image slightly). Otherwise, the scaler in the projector is okay - it's the line doubler which lacks.

Stick with the IScan?

-Jon

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That's all I need to hear after ordering one! Thanks snaggs! I'll be using the Quadscan Pro for scaling Laser disks to my NEC PG9200 CRT...hopefully it will do the trick. We shall see...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'll probably be sticking to my Radeon 7500 HTPC for watching DVD's and use the pass through on the Quadscan. I will be doing A-B comparisons between the two though, I am running my HTPC at 1024X768 @ 72 HZ and the picture looks sweet I must say...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure - the HTPC stays in the loop for critical viewing.

The idea was to use the Quadscan for WAF viewing - to enable easy "insert DVD & play" functionality. She won't touch the PC even if it's easy - there's too much of a stigma there.

I agree the IScan is soft, however, it's deinterlacing is top notch (the chip used does an _excellent_ job). Is the deinterlacing in the quadscan that much worse?

-Jon

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have tried both the Quadscan Pro and the Iscan Pro.

I didn't like the Quadscan at all - very soft. I have seen many Iscan Pro's and find them very nice, and can't really I find any 'soft' issue with that one.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Per Johnny,

Thanks for the notes. Perhaps I'll stay with the IScan for the WAF solution. I haven't heard a resounding "go for it", so I'll stay put. The HTPC is always available for critical viewing.

Thanks, everybody.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
noah,

I don't know if your question was for myself or Per Johnny, or for the IScan or the Quadscan Pro, but I can say that I've used the IScan on a CRT device and saw the same type of softness. It's not severe at all, and not noticible in casual viewing. I only tend to notice on reference material, or material which I really know well (i.e. films where I'm expecting detail).

-Jon

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well Jason Turk just called me to let me know that the Quadscan Pro is on the way...:(

I'm sure the picture will be a hell of a lot better than running straight S video out of my Laser Disc player into my NEC PG9200 CRT projector...I might have to make my way to the local hi-fi shop to get one of the I-Scan Pro's to do a direct A-B comparison...then again....maybe not....;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
So the Quadscan is softer than the Iscan? I was thinking of the Quadscan for dvd/dss/vhs viewing to my projector, BG800, but is the HTPC a better route? I was planning on the scaler to make life simpler, but.....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
So the Quadscan is softer than the Iscan? I was thinking of the Quadscan for dvd/dss/vhs viewing to my projector, BG800, but is the HTPC a better route? I was planning on the scaler to make life simpler, but.....
Even without seeing the Quadscan, I can pretty much say that an HTPC will kick the Quadscan out of the box for DVD. I'm not too sure about dss/vhs, as this gets more into the analog realm (i.e. capture card, etc...), but for DVD viewing the HTPC is an amazing difference.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thanks, I was debating building an HTPC but it would be for scaling only and maybe later on video capture. My family would be using the projector so I thought that might rule out the HTPC if it was too complicated.

Around how much would need to be spent on the HTPC to mid to high viewing pleasure?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
plain fan,

I'm not sure about the convenience of using an HTPC as a scaler, but I'm sure many of the people in the HTPC forum could tell you. I personally use mine only for DVD (so far ;-). I used a pre-existing PC, so my only addition was a DiO 24/96 card for digital out to my preamp (~$180) and an IRMan ($30). HTPC people would, again, have a good idea on how much a prebuilt one costs (I know AVS has a few for sale at decent prices).

-Jon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.