AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating buying a headphone amp/DAC, but I am wondering do I need one? Is the signal delivered through the headphone plug on my Denon 3312ci receiver good enough i.e. does it have full audiophile qualities just as it is. I have Sennheiser 550 earphones. Will I get a better sound with a separate headphone amp with a DAC convertor? I am also thinking about moving up to the Sennheiser 800 earphones.

Help please!

Leo

·
Registered
28,899 Posts
How do you determine good enough?

If you have the receiver and the headphones can't you decide if it sounds good enough to you?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomitch  /t/1523255/how-good-is-the-sound-from-the-3312cis-earphone-plug#post_24501722

I am contemplating buying a headphone amp/DAC, but I am wondering do I need one? Is the signal delivered through the headphone plug on my Denon 3312ci receiver good enough i.e. does it have full audiophile qualities just as it is. I have Sennheiser 550 earphones. Will I get a better sound with a separate headphone amp with a DAC convertor? I am also thinking about moving up to the Sennheiser 800 earphones.

Help please!

From my analysis of the service manuals of earlier models (current model not available) it seems probable that this AVR provides headphones with a relatively high source impedance of no less than 33 ohms. This is not a serious problem with high impedance headphones such as the ones you have or are contemplating, but could be more problematical for others that have far lower impedances. I wouldn't recommend this headphone jack for common headphones with 15-16 ohm impedances!

This particular problem is common even with very expensive headphone amplifiers so if you are buying such a thing, investigate this aspect of its performance carefully!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1523255/how-good-is-the-sound-from-the-3312cis-earphone-plug#post_24501917

How do you determine good enough?

If you have the receiver and the headphones can't you decide if it sounds good enough to you?

I will assume you are not being sarcastic
, so let me put it another way....is it possible to get an even better sound or what is the path of the signal that comes out of there.

Leo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1523255/how-good-is-the-sound-from-the-3312cis-earphone-plug#post_24501965

From my analysis of the service manuals of earlier models (current model not available) it seems probable that this AVR provides headphones with a relatively high source impedance of no less than 33 ohms. This is not a serious problem with high impedance headphones such as the ones you have or are contemplating, but could be more problematical for others that have far lower impedances. I wouldn't recommend this headphone jack for common headphones with 15-16 ohm impedances!

This particular problem is common even with very expensive headphone amplifiers so if you are buying such a thing, investigate this aspect of its performance carefully!

Thank you mate! That helps!

Leo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts