AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe you should look for the "search" button.

That question has been asked and answered many many times.... and it actually all depends on your personal tastes, output of the projector, surface of the material for the screen, ambient light, and quality of paint....

Pierre

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've read almost every thread on avs forums about grey screens. And obviously have not found a sufficient answer yet. So there's no need to be rude.

As for more info, I can certainly give it:

I'm going to be using blackout cloth with my lcd pj, 1000 lumens, 400:1 contrast. The room is not completely blacked out, and there is always a degree of ambient light. I obviously would like the best blacks and whites I can achieve without sacrificing too much color and punch in between. Also I'd like to keep the gain low to increase the off axis viewing. I'm debating the paint between a mixture of Behr Ultra pure white matte and Grey Tropics, or Artists Gesso white and grey.

Is that enough info to decide a correct white/grey ratio? I realize that it also takes alot of experimenting and evaluation. But I guess what I'm asking is, what do I look for when determining the best ratio? How will I know when it reaches the perfect spot? And what ratio is a good place to start?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rude ? was i really rude ?

i was just trying to help....

anyway.

A mix of some drops of black in a behr ultrawhite might be good for your setup.

Try to get the "eggshell" finish of the paint as it is reported to bump the gain just a little bit for punch while still having a good off axis response (and light rejection) and no hot spotting.

Pierre

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just recently finished my screen with a Glidden paint from Home Depot called Universal Grey. I used an eggshell finish and it turned out fantastic. I am waiting on my InFocus 7200 to really see how good it is, but when I used an old Proxima we had at work it looked really good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just finished a Glidden Universal Grey Eggshell paint on a Parkland PLastic screen. It's 73x53 (or something like that). I taped up screen samples from Screen Goo and DaLite. The DaLites were all way to dark for my Hitachi SX5500 projector. The Screen Goo looked very good... but not for the price difference - $8 vs $150. It looks like a great paint but the only difference I saw was it may have been a touch brighter than the Glidden. For a lower lumen FP it might be fantastic but not for me.

I rolled 2 coats onto the plastic.

I will say that many others who have recently seen it couldn't believe how great it looked. They all said to save my money over the Screen Goo. I will add that none of us are considered "videophiles".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.