AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the subwoofer game, and I don't have a lot of cash on hand. I've currently got two of the new Dayton 12" subs on order (one for computer room, the other for home theater). They were pretty much the best I could find in the budget I was looking for.

But...

Silly me, I've kept reading this forum, and people keep saying how the Dayton doesn't go below 35 Hz at best, etc, etc. I think the 12" will definitely more than suffice for the computer, but I'm having second thoughts about the HT.

So, I'm toying with the notion of building a 15" Quatro instead, with the 240 Watt PE plate amp. Any thoughts? How hard is it to build a box, and are there any good resources I should be looking at before I even think of such an undertaking? Also, how much would I expect to spend in extra materials? I know I'd have to go buy some MDF at a minimum.

I haven't decided on anything yet, and I may just take the 12's and be happy. This would probably cost at least 100 bucks more...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not that hard, but it could take some time, look here for info: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

Get WinISD Pro or unibox or bass box or some program to model the woofers and tune the box.

Basically you'll need MDF, screws/glue/etc, finish (paint or whatever), feet, sealer or caulk, bracing, perhaps some padding or fill and/or ports depending on sealed vs ported.

Obviously you'll need a driver and an amp and some wires as well. You may want a grill of some kind.

Then when you're all done you'll figure out ways to do it better or want to upgrade and this process will never end.

You might also want to consider a kit like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-762

Good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi SteveCallas,

I am looking to do the same thing as the original poster. I have the handman skills but no av knowledge. So far the only plans i have found are for a sealed enclosure at http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-560%20sealed.pdf

but i have seen where people are building ported enclosures and i also saw where dayton recommended either the above sealed or a 5.5 cubic ft with 4" port something like 12.75in long. Which way should i go and is there anywhere where i can get a detailed cut and assembly list? is the above diagram for the sealed unit actually that simple? thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've summoned up my willpower and I think I'm just going to wait it out for now. The rest of my system is pretty modest (HK 235, Polk CSi25 Center, R30 Fronts, R15 Rears). Besides, these are the new Daytons, so I'm going to at least give them a chance. Nothing we know about the old ones may hold true. And PE has a good return policy.

Still, the Quatro's an option if I get these and hate them. :p

My handyman skills are kind of "eh". Computers I do great, cars I can manage in a pinch... woodworking, not so good. Sounds like I would probably need to count on 40 to 50 bucks in additional parts, which pushes the cost up to around $250.

How would a Quatro setup compare to other subs at that price range, like the Acoustech, etc.?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
If I were using the Quatro, I'd aim for a 190 liter enclosure with 1 6" port that is 21.25" long and has a flare at the opening. Unless you were set on a box, a sonosub would be a bit easier and actually have a few advantages. Any size constraints or a desire for a box sub?

A 15" Quatro with the 240 watt plate amp, as far as I know of, can't be touched by anything commercial for around the same price.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no particular attachment to the box shape, no. :)

Don't even have a girlfriend, much less a wife, so looks aren't too important either.

EDIT: I should note that the room is freaking huge. High ceilings - probably 20 feet. It's the living room of a townhouse, and the bottom floor has no doors. It's all pretty open on a couple of sides. This is another reason I'm concerned about the Dayton 12". But I guess we'll see when it gets here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
well the room is 13x13 but i dont know as far as box or sonoub. I looked at the pic of yours and that thing is awesome but i definately cant have anything that size. I would probably need to go with a box unless we could do a sonosub more reasonable size.. i am definately open to any of your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The right tools make all the differance. I'm finding that my DIY project is costing me about 2x what I planned, because I keep making runs to Lowes for more clamps, new drill bits (after I broke two this morning pre-drilling), big tin snips, and so forth. A router, drill, jig saw, and a circluar/table saw are must have.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah i know how that can be but i have a table saw, router,etc. I am a refinisher at a automotive collision center and cant wait to build an enclosoure and put a basecoat/clearcoat finish on it...LOL getting a little ahead of myself...

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Lol, there would be no need to have an enclosure as big as mine for the Quatro. For reference, mine is 651 liters (700 without the port, driver, end caps) and I am suggesting 190 liters for the Quatro.

For a "freaking huge" room, I doubt even the 15" Quatro will be enough, but it would certainly be better than the Dayton 12" subwoofer.

To keep costs low, you will need access to a router for the sonosub. I had 4 sheets of MDF cnc routed for me and that cost $300 total (material and cuts) and I got a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
and a circluar/table saw are must have.
Thats what I was thinking. Sure a guy could suffice with out one, but realistically it would be best thinking about it (future projects). My wife is going to love this. ;) I'm going to blame you -K-...Don't pull a Norm abrams and tell us a plainer is needed though. :p Norm> Now I like to first take my sheet of MDF and run it through the plainer as to......................................................oops ! I forgot to bring up safety glasses!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, I can bum most tools off my dad that I don't have already. That's not really a problem. And if I get really desperate, I can probably coax him into making the cuts and stuff for me too. :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm at the "wouldn't it be nice" stage with this idea though. I'll see how the Dayton 12" sounds and go from there.

Any good web resources about sonosubs? I looked at diysubwoofers.org, but didn't see them mentioned (unless under another name?). Also, I'm American, so liters don't mean a lot to me. :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
so approximately what is the size i would be looking at? also, what are the advantages i would be looking at for a sonosub vs. a ported box? How big of a difference would either of those be over the sealed enclosure that partsexpress shows?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Quote:
Any good web resources about sonosubs?
Pat gives a great walkthrough for building a sonosub with many pictures along the way. It was a great starting point for me. Scroll down for the subs (no, yours doesn't have to look like those, sorry Pat :D ).
http://www.io.com/~patman/diy.html

Quote:
Also, I'm American, so liters don't mean a lot to me
Yeah, I'm American too - it's easier to get a nice round number using liters than it is cubic feet - 190 liters equates to 6.71 cubic feet.

Quote:
so approximately what is the size i would be looking at?
Depends - would you prefer wider or taller? Do you have a width or height limit?

Quote:
also, what are the advantages i would be looking at for a sonosub vs. a ported box?
It's not sonosub vs ported box, as the sonosub would be ported as well, it's sonosub vs box. A sonosub will have no internal resonances like a box, the port will have nothing in close proximity to it if placed at the top, it will weigh a lot less than the same volume box, it will take up a smaller footprint, it will be easier to build, and some claim they have a cleaner sound than a box sub.

Quote:
How big of a difference would either of those be over the sealed enclosure that partsexpress shows?
For max output down low, I'd go ported (whether that be sonosub or box).

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I has been a while since I've built speakers, but I really enjoyed the experience. I am a pretty poor craftsman, but was pleased with the result.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks like with the sonosub design there's not really much place to put a plate amp. Is this correct? You'd need an outboard amp? That's not really a dealbreaker for me, but it's something to take into account.

Also the biggest drawback to the sonosub designs seems to be that they're so darn ugly. :p

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn
Thats what I was thinking. Sure a guy could suffice with out one, but realistically it would be best thinking about it (future projects). My wife is going to love this. ;) I'm going to blame you -K-...Don't pull a Norm abrams and tell us a plainer is needed though. :p Norm> Now I like to first take my sheet of MDF and run it through the plainer as to......................................................oops ! I forgot to bring up safety glasses!
Blame me? What the heck did I do? :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
ok, i have been doing some thinking(dont expect much in this area LOL). I am starting to worry about size and the time consumption of building a sonsub or ported box. So, if i build the above sealed enclosure in a little bit of a variation(i would basically add more onto the back of it sealed off from the rest of the unit to mount the amp plate, the more i think about this though is it a waste of time to do?) would i need to add any bracing inside? the diagram doesnt show any. I am also considering adding feet and the bottom plate like Pat had on the sun box sub from his website. Is there a better size to go with according to the software you guys are using to figure out your box dimensions?(i dont understand that software at all) I wouldnt mind going a little taller in height(say maybe 24").

What kind of sound can i expect out of that setup? Would it still be a much better setup than going with the mirage s10(if i can even end up getting one) or anything else in the price range i would be in ($250)???

·
Registered
406 Posts
Bracing is always good; I'd recommend it if you went the box route.

For calculations, I use Unibox . Easy to use (once you figure out where to input all the numbers), and best of all, free! :D

Keep in mind however that the Quatro 15" can not be downfired; it's sag rating is just ever-so-slighty too much for vertical mounting, unfortunately. If you wanna go tall, stick with a box, or mount the driver facing forward on a standing tube (not the easiest thing to do, but has been done nonetheless).

To make things simple for me, I simply made mine with the tube lying down. Where did the amp plate go? Why, on the back of course. :)

I SO wish I had access to automotive-finishing tools! I'd have a flawless semi-glossy black finish then. :eek: Still looking for a new job, probably a Honda dealer or something. The moment I have money saved up again, I'll simply bring my MDF to the body shop and get the painting done the right way. :cool:

As far as sound quality goes, I'm not sure how the Quatro compares to the likes of SVS, etc. However, by numbers alone, it seems that it easily runs with SVS' $1000+ offerings. I may be wrong of course, but for one that already has access to tools, you definitely can't go wrong with this killer $300'ish setup. ;)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.