AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah i think i am going to jump on the setup. I just dont know what to do yet. I still believe i am going to have to go with a box design but can you tell me how big of a difference ported vs sealed actually is? Like i said earlier, i know if i had a detailed drawing of dimensions and stuff I wouldnt have any problem building it. what size of a box would i be looking at to get 5.5 cu.ft for a ported setup(after adding bracing and stuff)?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Eee, my math really sucks, so I think it's better to leave it to the experts to help you on that one, lol. Have you tried posting over at the PE forum yet? They should give you an answer in no time as quite a few built boxes for it.

Edit: By "difference", do you mean just physical size, or SQ as well? Theoretically the sealed one should sound better, but the vented one sounds awesome as well - music-wise - to my ears at least (and many others). I listen to music most of the time, but I like my explosions nice and low as well, so I opted for a vented design in the end. No regrets since... except the fact that now I wanna build more subs, lol.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar
yeah i think i am going to jump on the setup. I just dont know what to do yet. I still believe i am going to have to go with a box design but can you tell me how big of a difference ported vs sealed actually is? Like i said earlier, i know if i had a detailed drawing of dimensions and stuff I wouldnt have any problem building it. what size of a box would i be looking at to get 5.5 cu.ft for a ported setup(after adding bracing and stuff)?
It can be any dimensions you want as long as it equals 5.5 cu.ft.

For example: 23" x 36" x 15" if your mdf is 3/4".

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ah, so it would be a bad idea to use the Quatro for this application then? (Unless, as you say, you built it sideways...). Hmm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey all,

I took the plunge today and purchased the combo. I have decided to first build a sealed enclosure and see how i like it. Would anyone who has the info for the driver already in their software please tell me what the optimum cu.ft of space would be? I have seen anywhere from 2.2 to 3.5. Did I say PLEASE???????????

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have been a government employee for the past 29 1/2 years. My job is not in an engineering or maintainance field. (Actually, it's sorta like social work.)

I do not have the "right" tools.

My handy-man skills are minimal.

My Quatro 15" sub sounds great. I did build it myself with the help of all th epeople in these forums who knew their stuff.

If I did it, you should have no problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

I took the plunge today and purchased the combo. I have decided to first build a sealed enclosure and see how i like it. Would anyone who has the info for the driver already in their software please tell me what the optimum cu.ft of space would be? I have seen anywhere from 2.2 to 3.5. Did I say PLEASE???????????
Can't help ya there. I popped for the 4" Precision Port and built the 5.5 ft3 ported design. Just one more hole to cut.

Mine was supposed to be 31" H X 22.5" D X 18.5 W. I used a program called BoxyCAD to come up with the dimensions. It was the best way to get everything out of one piece of 4' X 8' mdf including the bracing.

I wound up going over budget because I got teh 500 watt amp because it went on sale for $100 off.

Your sub's gonna sound great no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Quote:
I'm playing around with it and I find it hard to come to a good solution sealed. Usually, the bigger the box you can get away with the better, but even with only 240 watts this driver wants to exceed excursion pretty fast. A 3.5 cubic foot box makes it exceed excursion at 33hz at full power. A 2.5 cubic foot box keeps you pretty safe but your output down low suffers quite a bit. Hopefully others who know sealed designs better will chime in, but if it were me, I'd definitely go ported.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Steve, I thought the formula applied to any form of vertical mounting, be it down or up firing? Unless I was wrong....

·
Registered
193 Posts
ok maybe i better rethink my position again(LOL) . Jack, would you happen to still have the instructions you used to build your box? It sounds like i could probably make those dimensions work, and if you have the drawing which would show me where to brace, etc I might take on the challenge of the ported enclosure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Where does one go to purchase Sonotube? Would Home Depot / Lowe's have it, or would you need to go somewhere more specialized?

I've also been hearing differing opinions on how much of a cost savings going the sono route is, although pretty much everyone seems to agree it's less work.

I think the Dayton 12" will hold me over for the time being... I live in a townhouse anyway, and monster bass will just get me in trouble. But I want to keep this all in mind for the future.

Or if my neighbors piss me off. :cool:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Sonotube is actually a brand name. Lowes and Home Depot carry Quikrete brand concrete forms but they are limited in size. They are 4' long and come in 8" and 12" diameters. You have to go to a concrete supply store to get larger sizes. Some places sell by the linear foot. Other's will make you buy the entire 12' tube. I'm getting 3 subs out of one 12' section.

-Robert

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
ok maybe i better rethink my position again(LOL) . Jack, would you happen to still have the instructions you used to build your box? It sounds like i could probably make those dimensions work, and if you have the drawing which would show me where to brace, etc I might take on the challenge of the ported enclosure.

I've never tried to attach anything to a post before, so I hope this works. You may note that all of the panels are in whole inches even thoughthe sides are not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It wouldn't let me copyu the drawings. Here's the link for the program I used.

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/tools.shtml

Boxy Cad Version 1.1 1/21/04 Y.Aksan Project: Name here

Driver Size and Placement Control Relief Material Density

Offset Diameter shortest side 0.753 gr/cm3

Driver 1 0 15 1 3/4 Total Box Weight

Driver 2 0 0 32.3 kg

Driver 3 0 0 71.2 Pounds

Driver 4 0 0

Bracing Wall Thickness (Inches)

Width Length Depth Qty/spkr Front Rear Top/Bottom Sides

17 29 1/2 0.75 1 Full length 0.75 0.75 0.75 0.75

17 21 0.75 0 Shelf

Outside Box Dimensions (Inches) Internal Driver Height Relief Acoustic

Width Height Depth Volume Bottom Top Driver drv - drv Centers

18 1/2 31 22 1/2 166.42 liters 9 1/4 21 3/4 74 1 14 4/16

148 248 180 5.88 cu.ft #VALUE! 176 2

Golden ratio > 48 1/8 29 5/8 #VALUE! 99 3

Baffle Width in Hz > 1,466 135 4

Bill of Materials For 1 Speakers Qty X

Width Height Thickness Qty Short side Long side + Kerfs

Front/Rear Baffles 18 1/2 31 0.75 2 37 31 1/8

Side Panels 21 31 0.75 2 42 31 1/8

Top/Bottom Panels 21 17 0.75 2 34 21 1/8

Bracing 29 1/2 17 0.75 2 34 29 1/2 1/8

Total Sq.ft 28.9 (5x8 Sheet is 40sq ft - 60"x96")

Center line 9 1/4 Hint: Build the top/bottom/sides as a box and let dry. Cut the baffles oversize by about 1/2 inch and glue on with overhand on all sides. Use a flush trim blade to bring the baffles square with the other panels.

top bottom Offset

Driver 1 center 21 3/4 9 1/4

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
If I were using the Quatro, I'd aim for a 190 liter enclosure with 1 6" port that is 21.25" long and has a flare at the opening. Unless you were set on a box, a sonosub would be a bit easier and actually have a few advantages. Any size constraints or a desire for a box sub?

A 15" Quatro with the 240 watt plate amp, as far as I know of, can't be touched by anything commercial for around the same price.
I know it's been a while since we talked about this, but I've been playing with Unibox. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring everything out, but it looks like this design is exceeding xmax pretty badly in the 20-40 Hz range. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, in Unibox I can't seem to find where you enter the port length you want. I guess this must be derived from some other parameters, because it seems to want to make the port 74.21 cm. long. Obviously not a workable length. :p (Well, maybe in a sonosub.)

Am I missing some things here?

EDIT: Okay, I think I've finally figured out how the port length stuff works. Though I'm not sure I'm clear on exactly what the tuning frequency really is, I see how it affects the calculated port length.

This design still seems to hit xmax in the mid-30s though, unless I'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
169 Posts
what is the volume of your box, and vent diameter? i can model it in winisd pro for you and check it out to make sure...

just to confirm, you are using the 12 inch quatro right???

anyway, if I had to guess... since this driver has a low xmax, your driver can be pushed beyond its excursion limits in a smaller ported enclosure than a driver with a higher xmax.

to reduce the chance of bottoming out you can feed the driver less watts, put it in a smaller enclosure or tune the port to a higher frequency. all of these options of course have trade offs.

21 - 40 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.