AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think it'd be a good idea to ask the guys over at PE about that overexcursion thing. They know about these drivers more than anyone else.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
That's a good idea. I need to call them anyway, because I've got two of the Dayton 12" budget subs on order, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel one of them. Unless I get totally fed up with the DIY thing and decide to drop the idea, take my cheap subs, and be happy. We'll see. :p

·
Registered
406 Posts
How can you be happy, knowing that you let a Quatro / DVC slide by you, especially after seeing (based off of simulations) what these guys are capable of? :eek:

I, for one, wouldn't be able to sleep.... :(

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
If you are willing to spend $240 on the amp, you would be better off with a bridged pro amp. A Nady 900 will give you 675 watts bridged for 4 ohm for $150. With a sealed design you can always use more power - the question is whether fan noise will be a problem in your room.
Fan noise would be a problem. What else would you recommend?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12andy
How can you be happy, knowing that you let a Quatro / DVC slide by you, especially after seeing (based off of simulations) what these guys are capable of? :eek:

I, for one, wouldn't be able to sleep.... :(
Mostly because I've about reached the point of subwoofer overload. I can't think about these things for too long or I get overwhelmed. Plus it will be a lot of work. Plus it will cost more than twice as much. And I just saw that Parts Express ended their free shipping deal, which was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.

However, they also keep delaying the Dayton 12's, so we'll see. I'm still mulling things over. I think I just might need to take a step back.

Haha, just a bit frustrated. :) I'll probably end up building one in the end.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburk
Fan noise would be a problem. What else would you recommend?
You could do a fan mod on the amp... get some really quiet fans. That would help, but not elminate the noise. Might get it low enough where you wouldn't care. Otherwise I guess look for a different model of amp that doesn't need fans. :p

Wouldn't 675W be way too much for these drivers? Particularly the Quatro... I'm having all sorts of xmax problems in my models at only 240. 675 would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The review makes it look like a good sub. You're paying more, and you get a smaller driver. On the plus side, you get the convenience of a kit. Only you can make that call.

·
Registered
487 Posts
-->mattburk
Quote:
Thanks guys. I was reading another thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9&page=2&pp=30

Looks like darin is building a big one.

What do you think of this compared to the parts express route for the same (give or take a few hundred)?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2004.html
Yes Darin is building a pair of them.

The DS-350 sub kit is extremely accurate and sounds great. Small encloser and capable of putting out some decent spl along with extending below 20Hz when needed. Currently the only DIY Servo Sub kit out their to my knowledge.

-->Orbus
Quote:
The review makes it look like a good sub. You're paying more, and you get a smaller driver. On the plus side, you get the convenience of a kit. Only you can make that call.
If anyone has any interest in reading more on (what others have to say) about the Rythmik DS-350 kit and also see a few very nice enclosers the DIY'ers built to house thier DS-350 kit, you can have a look here.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/testimonial.htm

Orbus:

I don't know what your budget limit is, but you might consider running the Dayton PR's ~{that are designed to be used with the Dayton DVC}~ to help get your cabinet size down. Of course this adds to the cost and may or may not be something your interested in looking into.

Cheers ¥

121 - 133 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.