AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I hang thus pj I'm thinking about changing the blue tube only. The wear is fairley light but is noticable at the edges of a 16-9 screen. Now I could move the pj back a little and live with the slightly yellowed whites for a while but am concerned about hosing the green tube (which is in good shape) by using a less than optimon raster size.

So is retubing a 1272 something a novice can do?

Are any specialized tools needed?

Where is a good source to buy a new or rebuilt tube?

Any trade tips or DO NOT DO THIS advice ?

Does the service manual give instructions on changing tubes, or does the manual assume you have a clue on how to do it.

Any advice or how to tips are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Big D

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
don,

I cannot give you any specific advice on retubing a 1272, but I can give you some general advice. I just retubbed my Barco 1208/2 and I am a newbie to the hobby. It was really straight forward. First, a warning there are dangerous and lethal voltages in these machines and adjusting the tube after it is installed requires you to be within inches of these voltages. If you don't know how to work around these voltages don't do it. If you are mechanically inclined and have a basic understanding of electronics you can probably do it. If you don't have both of these skills then don't do it. Also a 1208 is probably a pretty easy projector to retube since the chassis was designed with a lot of extra space (the same chassis was also used with 9" crts) your Sony may (or may not) be more difficult .

Okay now that the warnings are out of the way and if you are still up for doing this, here is what a recommend:

First, you should get the service manual for your set if you don't already have it. I wouldn't attempt this for the first time without the service manual. You can purchase them at http://www.crtinfo.us.vu/automanualSONY.html (I have no affiliation with this site other than being a happy customer). Read the CRT replacement section of this manual several times to familiarize yourself with the process and make sure you are comfortable in doing it. I would do this before you purchase a replacement tube.

Next search these forums going all the way back to the beginning (use the most thorough search option available on the search page) and find everything that has been posted on CRT replacement in your projector.

Next you will need to remove your old tube. Take your time and document everything in writing and with a digital camera if you have one. This is useful in case you cannot remember where something went, etc...

Install the new tube, and adjust it. Follow the instructions in the service manual and take your time. It will take a while to get it adjusted just right. I probably spent 2-3 hours per tube adjusting them. Yes I took my time and frequent breaks. No point in hurrying it. I also found the Guy Kuo's "holy focus" thread to me extremely useful in dialing in the new tubes. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95#post728595.

All told I spend about 4 -5 hours per tube (I did both B+G) between installation and adjustment. Yes that is a long time, but I took my time and wanted to get everything just right. If you are mechanically and electronically inclined and can follow instructions, the whole process is very straight forward.

Oh to answer your questions:

Yes, a novice with the above mentioned skills can do this.

The only tools I needed for the Barco were a standard screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, and binoculars (helps greatly with adjustment see holy focus thread for more information).

VDC rebuilds some tubes though I don't know about Sony's. Some resellers will sell you tubes, and you can always look at fleabay.

I assume the service manual would tell you this, but cannot confirm since I don't own one. I don't think they would assume you would know how to do this.

secstate

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Don I wrote a section on Larrys Listree's site for cleaning fungus in CRT's. Its a good basic run down on how to remove the tube from the projector.

I think you can do a search here for SONY1031Q projectors since that was the machine in question but the tubes in your PJ are very much the same tubes in a 1031Q only that they are brighter in your machine. You may want to see about getting your tube rebuilt or finding one online. Brand new tubes a re pretty expensice so rebuilding is the way to go.

Like secstate says, its not the removal thats hard its the reinstallation of the tube and calibrating it that is the hard part.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ya'll. With out this forum,CRT projectors days would be numbered.

Anyone purchased a rebuilt tube lately. Need a good deal, already over budget;)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Don,

I bought my rebuilt tubes directly from VDC ( http://www.videodisplayprojection.co...c_catalog.html ). I would call them at the 1-800 number on the web site and ask for Brenda. She was very helpful. They are on the only re-builder of CRTs as far as I know. However they can only rebuild some Sony CRTs. I paid $495 +$100 core charge per tube for my tubes. Depending on the demand for your tubes, you might be able to get a good used one cheaper on fleabay or from one of the resellers.

secstate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.